Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #1 
Nutt007

Hello Betta lovers, you mind helping me?

Alright, in school, I am doing a project, and of course, since I have been infected with the betta bug, I decide to do one on the neglect and abuse of fish. So, I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me? Im mainly looking for experts/breeders but any amateur who is willing to help is welcome. :) I hope you don't mind me using your usernames.
Please answer these questions:

1. Are conditions in chain petstores intentional abuse, or just plain neglect?

2. Can a fish really thrive in a bowl?

3. How fast can ammonia build up in a tank?

4. Is traditional Thai Betta fighting ethnical? What about clueless people who fight them to the death?

5. Why is such bad information given out about Bettas and Goldfish?

6. What is the minimum for a Goldfish? A Betta?

7. What can we do to help?

Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna educate my class, and hopefully they will spread the word! :D
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
Alright, in school, I am doing a project, and of course, since I have been infected with the betta bug, I decide to do one on the neglect and abuse of fish. So, I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me? Im mainly looking for experts/breeders but any amateur who is willing to help is welcome. :) I hope you don't mind me using your usernames.
Please answer these questions:

1. Are conditions in chain petstores intentional abuse, or just plain neglect? A little of both with just plain stupidity and lack of actual knowledge of the product they are selling.

2. Can a fish really thrive in a bowl? In my opinion.. no.

3. How fast can ammonia build up in a tank? That depends on factors like the health of the fish and how often it's fed. Live plants and stocking level play a big part also.

4. Is traditional Thai Betta fighting ethnical? What about clueless people who fight them to the death? In our society, no it is not ethical to harm animals for pleasure (although you might bring horse racing and rodeo into the argument). However, we must always be respectful of other cultures and their traditions, even if we don't like them. Thai betta fighting is nothing like what is seen on nasty youtube videos. Clueless people who let them fight to the death are another matter.

5. Why is such bad information given out about Bettas and Goldfish? Because people don't take the time to learn about them. The same can be said for most pets however.

6. What is the minimum for a Goldfish? A Betta? Goldfish.. IMO the minimum is 40 gallons because they are social fish and need to be in groups. A betta.. minimum is 1 gallon but 2+ gallons should be strived for.

7. What can we do to help? Educate people as much as possible.

Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna educate my class, and hopefully they will spread the word! :D
I typed in my answers.... meant to change the colors but my laptop is dying :(
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #3 
YoshesMom

1f2f is the most reliable source you'll find :)
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #4 
Nutt007

Thanks! :D
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote