Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Aki's either coloring up or has some disease.

Okay so I was giving them a night time feeding as I missed their mid-afternoon feeding and I noticed Akira seemed to have a white wash and his face despite normally being so dark in certian light appears to have a mix of pale blue to dark blue scales on his face. I'm so worried because his beard has seemed to have taken on a black line as well as some white. I'm so scared because he's lost his violet in his tail too. I would have provided a pic but he was moving so fast and was so active...The odd thing that worried me most was he didn't eat all of his pellets.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 81.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Small Fish formula and I usually feed him bettamin but he's lost interest.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None. We use Reverse Osmosis.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He seems to have despite keeping his main blue color the pale from his belly seems to have traveled up to his face and into his anal fin replacing his orange wash. His beard has a back outline around it and has some white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really. He's active yes going nuts swimming about.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I don't know how!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd say at least four months.

Someone PLEASE help me! I love Akira so much! I don't want him to die!

Edit: Checked the water everything's okay. Got him to eat his flakes and checking him again...He's developing more orange and purple. That's why it looked so weird. His beard is coloring up darker.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 04-25-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

*bump* Okay now I think he has fin-rot...His rays they're shorter and his beard looks mangled...Not knotted but utterly mangled. Oh how did I let this happen? I'm going to have my mom pick up AQ salt so we can begin treatment tomorrow. I'm so scared someone help me please!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #3 
nowzem

Oh no! I'm sorry I have never dealt with fin rot but I didn't want you to feel like no one cared! I think aquarium salt will help, but if not, maybe look at some of the stronger fin rot medi's (and see what folks on here say, of course!). Good luck!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #4 
nowzem

Check this out
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting and eating his normal self I wouldn't worry too much....however, with R/O you need to either add minerals back to the water with an additive or use a 50/50 mix of R/O and tap water along with a dechlorinator.....although R/O is good....it has its problems-I would check and make sure it is working properly by make regular chlorine checks...small amounts can eat up the fins and gills of the fish.....and when the unit is working properly it remove all the needed minerals the fish needs for good long term health......

Can you post a pic....some of the color changes may be normal pigment changes......

Also, in a unfiltered 1.5gal tank-you need to be doing 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes to maintain water quality.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote