Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 
masshiimarro

does your fish ever..

pick at the gravel as if hes found something to eat? cuz mine does that... and its weird, since he doesnt seem to like pellets. he will eat bloodworms, but when it comes to eating pellets he will put it in his mouth and spit it back out... and repeat that over and over again. i soaked the pellets and split them up beforehand so he should be fine with the size..

so basically im just wondering if hes found something in the gravel.. and if theres anything that seems wrong with his activity? LOL he looks like a dog thats sniffing around in a yard when he 'prowls' the gravel :P
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #2 
Harley

Is it "sniffing" or is there maybe some "scraping" of the nose? Harley "sniffs" around once in a while but never for more than an hour or so. Has he eaten pellets in the past or is this a new thing? If he eats blood worms its not an appetite problem, however he can't survive on them, as treats only. What kind of pellets is he on now? Maybe you want to try a different brand of food.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 
masshiimarro

mm im pretty sure that hes not scraping his nose,, just 'sniffing'. hes on aquaculture pellets, and hes had them for a bit, and he seems kind of iffy on eating them. sometimes he'll eat them, and sometimes he does the eat/spit and repeat.. but it seems like he'll sometimes go back and eat them later after they have either been epically torn apart by him spitting them out, or when they sink to the bottom

my female betta has no problems with this brand, and she doesnt seem to ever really do what hes doing...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #4 
mandleighb

My betta does the same thing with the pellets- eat, spit out, repeat. I tried freeze dried brine shrimp today and he still didn't even bite at them. Also tried flakes (I knew that was probably a long shot). Not really sure what to do at this point!
mandleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #5 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshiimarro View Post
mm im pretty sure that hes not scraping his nose,, just 'sniffing'. hes on aquaculture pellets, and hes had them for a bit, and he seems kind of iffy on eating them. sometimes he'll eat them, and sometimes he does the eat/spit and repeat.. but it seems like he'll sometimes go back and eat them later after they have either been epically torn apart by him spitting them out, or when they sink to the bottom

my female betta has no problems with this brand, and she doesnt seem to ever really do what hes doing...
I would try another brand, specifically ones that are listed as mini or micro pellets. I use Nutrafin ones but I can't remember the exact name, but thats what they are. Remember, just like people, everyone doesn't like eating the same things. Also do what you can to scoop up anything he doesn't eat in the first couple of minutes. That will keep it from decaying on the bottom and messing with your water chemistry.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #6 
Burd

Jabu-Jabu does this nightly but I'm pretty sure it's because he's found a tasty snack of shrimp eggs to munch on since my 6 ghost shrimp are all over the place and seem happy (meaning their probably trying to breed?) Does your betta have any tank mates like that or is he just really randomly picking on the ground?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #7 
masshiimarro

he actually in a divided tank with the female, and there are nerite snails, ramshorns, and pond snails in there too. im just worried that hes not getting enough to eat mostly..
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #8 
Burd

As many have told me, both on this forum and otherwise, it is better to feed your fish less than to over feed them. It doesn't sound like he's underfed. He's just a busy boy. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #9 
Neil D

I feed TetraColor sinking pellets. He seems to like them.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 
naturegirl243

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandleighb View Post
My betta does the same thing with the pellets- eat, spit out, repeat. I tried freeze dried brine shrimp today and he still didn't even bite at them. Also tried flakes (I knew that was probably a long shot). Not really sure what to do at this point!
I have some really nice small pellets you boy might like.They are made by attison's my boys and girls love them.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food