Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #21 
Tisia

umm, guessing some people didn't read the article, they're actually trying to get people to spay/neuter, and the vasectomy is a "reward" for doing so. you actually have to write something about why you think you should be the one to win it as well as proving you recently spayed or neutered a pet
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #22 
1fish2fish

PETA is a terrorist organization. Don't believe me? Look up the definition of a terrorist... pretty much fits the bill.

I'll talk to PETA when they can answer for the 90+% euthanasia rate in their shelter.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #23 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
umm, guessing some people didn't read the article, they're actually trying to get people to spay/neuter, and the vasectomy is a "reward" for doing so. you actually have to write something about why you think you should be the one to win it as well as proving you recently spayed or neutered a pet

Oh that makes...no sense. What a strange "contest" idea.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #24 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post

Oh that makes...no sense. What a strange "contest" idea.
lol, I agree. there are some people I've known that I hope never have children, but can't imagine any of them being responsible enough to do something about it (hence why I think they shouldn't have any, lol)
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #25 
Littlebittyfish

I don't think they are "serious" with most of the little campaigns they do(think the breast milk icecream campaign)...I believe they are going for more of a shock value/ trying to make people think or draw attentions to themselves so then people google wtf is peta and find out about animal rights....I think they are ridiculous though 99% of the time ...

There are some vegans who are against owning animals as pets though...I am however..apparently not one of them...3 cats..a dog..and 8 betta fish...

I don't think peta hates humans per se...I believe they are a huge organization trying to "educate" the masses about their views....Unfortunately on many occasions going a bit too far..quite a bit too far...for too long..as well as contradicting themselves along the way..and upsetting a bunch of people...unfortunately....It is sad really..because they had potential to be a good organization...They have just went terribly wrong...you do not educate people by pissing them off...People shut down and stop listening then ......

Where does it say they want to give the earth to the animals ? Technically humans are animals..we are in the animal kingdom after all...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

The President and VP of Peta would like nothing better for there to be no more pets. They're NOT the "animal rights' group they would have you think they are. The would have all of use flush our fish down the toilet.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #27 
Arashi Takamine

And they'd find themselves in a world of hurt faster then they can say: "Sea-kitten." Trust me when I saw a surgery being a contest prize I looked down at the comments I was shocked that a few people were signing up but most were saying it wasn't right and how insulting it was.

It was like Repo the Genetic Opera for a second there. Hell they'd be wishing they had zydrate if they ever tried to lay a hands on my animals.

Besides: If I see one of those 'functions' with disturbing images and trying to get my little cousins attention...

Whoever is running it will get it royally.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #28 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I don't think they are "serious" with most of the little campaigns they do(think the breast milk icecream campaign)...I believe they are going for more of a shock value/ trying to make people think or draw attentions to themselves so then people google wtf is peta and find out about animal rights....I think they are ridiculous though 99% of the time ...

There are some vegans who are against owning animals as pets though...I am however..apparently not one of them...3 cats..a dog..and 8 betta fish...

I don't think peta hates humans per se...I believe they are a huge organization trying to "educate" the masses about their views....Unfortunately on many occasions going a bit too far..quite a bit too far...for too long..as well as contradicting themselves along the way..and upsetting a bunch of people...unfortunately....It is sad really..because they had potential to be a good organization...They have just went terribly wrong...you do not educate people by pissing them off...People shut down and stop listening then ......

Where does it say they want to give the earth to the animals ? Technically humans are animals..we are in the animal kingdom after all...
Exactly...they are deliberately extreme because they know it will draw attention to the organization. But unfortunately, it just hurts their own cause because these outlandish campaigns just make them a laughing stock. And the ridiculous campaigns don't just hurt PETA; some people associate all vegetarians/vegans/animal rights/animal welfare advocates with PETA and their ridiculous antics, so these wild PR campaigns end up making all animal welfare/rights organizations look suspect in the eyes of many consumers. They really just hurt their own cause more than they help. And it's definitely a shame, because, as you pointed out, they did have potential to do some good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine
And they'd find themselves in a world of hurt faster then they can say: "Sea-kitten." Trust me when I saw a surgery being a contest prize I looked down at the comments I was shocked that a few people were signing up but most were saying it wasn't right and how insulting it was.

This contest is definitely weird. But I don't see anything wrong with the people signing up for it...if you already want a vasectomy, why not enter a contest and see if you can get it for free?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #29 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
This contest is definitely weird. But I don't see anything wrong with the people signing up for it...if you already want a vasectomy, why not enter a contest and see if you can get it for free?

I don't blame them I just think it's a little extreme for a contest prize....I mean I would think the whole thought of surgery being a prize wouldn't be legal but apparently it is.

Just I've had Repo the Genetic Opera on my mind lately...Seeing that well let's just say whoever wins I hope get's a lot of Zydrate. It's just stupid with the source who's doing it. They're making it happen during an awareness week which is why I'm a little irritated too. Hey I support free things....Just surgery is an iffy one.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #30 
LolaQuigs

Yeah, the contest is definitely weird, there's no doubt about that! I totally know what you're saying, recently there was a local contest here where women could enter to win a certain cosmetic surgery procedure...just strange, and kind of creepy.