Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 
Samsvalleybettas

New to breeding.

Hi everyone, I have owned betta on and off for a while and just started trying to breed. I am currently trying to breed a couple of nice fish I found at the local pet store, however would love to find a nice breeding pair soon. I am breeding for a science project in school, because I am planning on going into horse breeding and genetice. I know a few girls that work at a local vet office in that field that did a betta breeding study in high school and it helped them greatly. My first attempt was a fail. I bought the fish conditioned them and set up my breeding tank. Then I introduced him to it, and about two days later I put her in her area. He built a huge nest in a sterilized egg carton peice. Then I released the female and they cased each other for about a day. Then they did their thing while I was at work and when I got home he was guarding his nest and she was hiding behind her plant. I took her out and left him alone, checking on him very little. He was a great daddy, he moved the eggs and kept the nest going, but after four days and no fry I decided to remove him and let him eat and recoup. I then inspected that nest and found that all the eggs and been taken over by mold (that was my bad for not thinking about adding or checking to see if I should add and anti-fungal). I am currently working on just looking for nicer fish or letting these to have a long break and trying again. Any thougts or such are very welcome and good luck to all out there breeding I understand how hard it is even though I don't have a betta spawn yet I have had mollies spawn and that is crazy. Here is a picture of each of my fish, the female hates the camera.
Attached Images

Samsvalleybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
Samsvalleybettas

The female.
Attached Images

Last edited by Samsvalleybettas; 04-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

I would have left the male in there until I would have seen the fry free-swimming. It's a daddy's job to take care of eggs and they probably wouldn't have gotten infected by fungus if your male was there.

As for a High school science project, please note that these are living creatures and NEED proper care and homes for when they grow up. You have to make sure you can provide for them.

Good luck with your horse genetics and breeding. It's a competitive field out there.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I would like to second what youlovegnats said. I understand that this is a project but please be responsible in finding homes for the fry. Remember that friends and family members cannot be counted on and not many local pet stores are going to give you much for them either. Especially in the tail types you picked. You may have to do heavy culling for several generations to get the fins you want. Make sure you are willing to do that.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not too familiar with "science projects" - I mean do you have to prove anything, say a theory...... So if I may ask, what is the objective of your project?

I noticed that the pair are of different tail types. If you want to work with genetics, I'd suggest working with basic color genetics. IMO it would be easier to find homes for the offspring..... just a thought.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #6 
Samsvalleybettas

Thank you for all for the concern of the fish. I have already thought of all that. I did leave the father in the tank with the nest for four days after the spawning took place, thats when I took him out. I have been studying all the genetics for over a year, also how to breed. I did not rush into this lightly it took two year and careful planning to start this. The only reason I didn't buy nicer fish is that I have to pay for it with my own money and when you have a small budget you think more about the fish care so if it doesn't work you can still take the best of care for the male and female. My plan was to work on color and then maybe later work on more.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #7 
youlovegnats

Sounds good to me. As long as you keep up with all the water changes and care of your fish I don't see a problem with the project. Just make sure you give those babies good and loving homes!
I would leave the dad in there until the fry are free-swimming next time. If you take him out too early, the eggs might be prone to fugal infections again.

:) Good luck!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 
Samsvalleybettas

The eggs never hatched. I felt so sorry for him he kept looking at them like where are my kids but they never came.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #9 
Samsvalleybettas

Well my project is now off. My female died today of unknown causes. She was very active and eating well this morning and when I got home from the store this afternoon she was floating at the top of her tank. I checked the water and all was fine, she was in a 2.5 gallon with a filter and I do water changes of 50% weekly. The male is still doing great but I think that I will hold off on trying again anytime soon. Thanks again for all the tips and everything.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 
Samsvalleybettas

I also just wanted to add that this was a college project for extra credit. Just the people I know did it in high school.