Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 
Spartacus2112

Greetings from Long Island, NY

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I'm Steve from Long Island. Unfortunately, I wish it was for better reasons. The first betta we had, Dora, just died. I thought I was maintaining the tank properly however after research, realized that I was doing it too infrequently.
I have gone through the stickies, read what I believe I need and am looking forward to purchase a new betta and raising it with the proper care the fish deserves.
Dora graduated from a small cup, to a small container, to a 1 gallon tank. Unfortunately he eventually developed fin rot and during the last water change(after adding proper dosage and water conditioner, proper temperature) he passed away. From what I believe by asking multiple independent stores as well as chains, the fish either succombed to the fin rot or the last change basically shocked the fish. It was very heartbreaking that I had to tell my daughter I took the fish to the ocean to be with his friends and family because he got too big.
I will now be moving up to at least a 2.5 gallon tank and have the confidence and knowledge that all will be well this time around.
I look forward to hearing from you all and contributing whatever I can.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 
CyerRyn

Aww sorry to hear about your loss. :( These chain stores are horrible for information, but glad you found these forums. I was in pretty much the same predicament as you, though thankfully I didn't lose my buddy. These forums are extremely helpful and so far I haven't had any bad experiences with information or opinions provided to me. I wish the best for your new fishy friend and welcome to the forums!
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I am sorry for your loss it's very upsetting losing a fish..
Welcome to the forum.....Everyone here is very helpful! ask away and take lots of photos of your new betta we love photos!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Awwe, sorry for your loss! Just FYI, in a 2.5 gallon tank you should be doing 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #5 
Seka

Welcome, and also sorry to hear about your loss.

Like you, I was lied to by the chain stores when I got my first betta. Fortunately, he survived because of the information found on this site.
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 
Spartacus2112

Oddly enough, the chain store probably provided the best advice, was most helpful and took their time with me. I have one chain in my town, a few independents and chains nearby. Thanks folks for the welcome. The fish, initially was something for my daughter when we had to put our dog up for adoption to do space constraints(Dog is in a warm and loving home now...6 hours of driving to ensure that). As I stated earlier, it went from a cup, to a container to a 1 gallon tank. The fish grew on me. Anyway, thanks for the welcomes and look forward to speaking with you all. Now to break down this one gallon tank, clean it and look for either a 2.5 or a 5 gallon...space permitting.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I would go with the 5 gallon. Walmart has a 5 gallon kit for $25.00.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #8 
Pekemom

Hi, Steve and welcome!!

I'd definitely consider a 5 gallon tank. I've got the Fluval Chi tank and it's perfect for one betta. http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-10506-C.../dp/B003TM1BAE

Good luck and let us know what you decide~
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #9 
strictlyninja

I am new to this site also. But not new to Betta's. 5 gallon is the way to go.
strictlyninja is offline   Reply With Quote