Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Go5923

Help please, new with bettas

Yesterday I received a betta as a gift from my parents for Easter because I have been bothering them about getting one forever, currently it is in a fishbowl but I am planning on moving it into a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater very soon, I don't know if it's the water temp the water altogether or the lack of plants but since I got it I have noticed it is always at the bottom of the tank and will com up to the top for a few seconds there are also 2 or 3 tiny holes on it's fins, I can post pics tomorrow as I am deprived of a computer right now(using my iPod)lol but I was just looking to see if there is anything I can do.
P.S. I do d about a 25% water change and replace it with dasani my brother has a dechlorinator or whatever it's called so I can start using that and any suggestions for tanks and heaters? Sorry I'm making such a long post I'm just kinda excited to get it's new tank and stuff :P

Last edited by Go5923; 04-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Go5923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
Harley

I would definitely get a thermometer ($2-3) to check the temp. Cold water isn't great for a Betta's health. The tiny holes in the fins could possibly be fin rot. It wouldn't be the first time a fish came home from the store with it, Harley did. I would find some way to warm up the bowl if the temperature ends up being too cold. You want it between 76F-80F in most cases. If its a standard fish bowl (1 gallon) then do daily 100% water changes. Fin rot is caused and worsened by bad water. Harley's fighting it right now because of bad water at the fish store. Make sure you do the changes! Don't use Dasani or other bottled water though. They don't usually have all the minerals, etc bettas need for health. Just use regular tap water and add betta water conditioner to it. There are many starter kits out there but they don't always have all the components you need as they are often suited for several types of fish. This one has decent ratings but doesn't have a heater:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...11436#prodTab1 . For a 2.5 gallon tank you'll need about a 10W heater. Good luck!

Last edited by Harley; 04-26-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 
Go5923

Sadly he died this morning, must have been my mistake, i cleaned his tank and rocks out with boiling water and got some water conditioner, and a red crowntail. heres a pic http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...3/P1010862.jpg

Last edited by Go5923; 04-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Go5923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #4 
Harley

Sorry you lost your fish. He had really nice color. Don't feel too bad, you don't know for sure it was your fault. He may have been sick from the store. Raising / owning betta fish is a lot more involved than most people think. When I got Harley I just assumed I was getting a fish that sat in a bowl and needed food. After having problems with fin rot (diagnosed by people here), and reading this site, I've learned sooooooo much. Unfortunately you can't easily be a betta expert but this site gives you a lot of people with experience who are more than willing to help you. If you're not sure, don't be afraid to post a question. Hopefully you can get a new buddy when you feel its right
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 
roadrunner

I'm sorry about your betta. As harley mentioned, it probably wasn't your fault. Some stores keep bettas in poor conditions and even experienced betta keeper may not be able to save them
On this forum there are lots of very useful posts, so if you are considering to get another betta.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote