Housing
What size is your tank?1gal
What temperature is your tank?75F
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?BettaMin pellet + freeze-dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?1 pellet 3x daily.. sometimes a small shake of the blood worms

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50% daily, 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Bowl tablet

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?He looks bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?seems fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms?Now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no, idk how
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?bought him yesterday

He's been in QT tank since I bought him yesterday afternoon. I changed his bowl 50% about an hour ago and fed him and the other two boys, and came to check on him now and he's bloated... really bloated. He's already quarantined, all pet stores are closed so Idk what to do :(

**Edit** Here's some pictures
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by CyerRyn; 04-25-2011 at 11:45 PM.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

Well since I'm not getting any responses and he's not 'pineconing' I'm going to rule it out as constipation for the night and check on him in the morning. I hope he's okay. As much as I know I gotta accept that being a fish owner there's always going to be the possibility that one of my boys are gonna get sick and/or die, I still hope it's not gonna be anytime soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Fast him for a day or two. That's all I can suggest. He's scarily similar to my Akira...He has a pale belly with orange wash just like my boy. I hope he feels better soon. You might be doing too many water changes...I'm doing my first 100 percent tomorrow but I've been doing 50% changes bi-weekly. Also your temp is way too low. Try turning it up to 78 or 80 and I'm sure he'll perk up more.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #4 
CyerRyn

Thx for the response but I can't turn up the heat. :P He's in a bowl and I haven't found a heater for it yet that's why I do the frequent water changes. I've only had him for 24hrs so he's only gone through one 50% water change.. I'll cut it down to 25% water changes and see how that works. He's only in QT for a week so this set-up is temporary. I fed him twice today.. 1 pellet each feed + 1 or 2 freeze dried blood worms but he is really tiny. :< I really hope it's just constipation.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

His pellets might be too big. Maybe try crushing him? Akira was really tiny when I first brought him home too but he's grown some. I feed him a mix of New Life Spectrum small fish formula and bettamin flakes. If he's in QT then the daily 50% changes are a good idea. I've only had problems with alkelinity before and he acted sluggish. I thought he might have been showing signs of 'it' as well but after I changed the water he perked up. Try breaking up the worms and see if he'll eat it that way. If you decide to break up the pellet as well try giving him two pellets.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #6 
Harley

Sorry to hear you fish is sick. Whether its a 1 gallon bowl or just a small QT, you need to do 100% daily water changes whether he's healthy or not. Bad water can cause a host of health problems. Remember your fish doesn't have a toilet other than the water and swimming in pee and poop isn't great, especially if you're sick. Bouncing him between warm water after a change and room temp or colder a few hours later isn't great, its a bit of a shock to them. As mentioned, also get the temperature up. Cold fish can be less active than normal. Most people run around more in the summer than in the winter
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #7 
CyerRyn

I don't have the money to just run out and pick up a small heater for the bowl Harley.. it stays really warm in my apartment, think right now it's 78F so I try to fill up the bowl at around 75F temp. so the only time that it ever drops below that is at night and then I do the 50% water change in the morning. The QT bowl is just fine for him, his fins aren't clamped no fin rot (that I can see) and it's only temporary until next month when I can afford a 25W~50W heater for my 7gal. I checked up on him first thing this morning and he's still a little bloated but there's been no change in his attitude still all over the bowl and skittish which is exactly how he was when I bought him. I will fast him for today and if belly goes down by tomorrow I'll crush 1 pellet up to feed the next day and maybe try the pea thing, if still bloated I'll fast him another day. Thank you both for the advice. I'm just glad that it's more likely he's constipated rather than dropsy.. I don't know how I'd handle losing one of my buddy's so soon into the hobby.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting normal and willing to eat...he may have a full tummy and not bloat or dropsy....if the tummy decreases in size within 12-24h as the gastric acid and enzymes in his gut break down the food items....this is normal and nothing to worry about....if he start to become lethargic, hiding, stops eating and pooping and the tummy doesn't decrease in size within 24h...then you may have a bloat issue........usually changing the brand of food will resolve that issue along with decrease the amount of food being fed.....offer small frequent meals of varied foods.....

Your water temp is fine IMO/E....In a 1gal unfiltered tank I would make 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water change to maintain water quality......Daily water changes if you are treating for some reason......you have both good and bad bacteria that are needed in the tank to help the fish develop antibodies........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #9 
denaliwind

Hey,

Definitely just try fasting him, don't do the pea thing, that can cause more harm then good. Also, be really careful not to over feed the freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried foods can cause a lot of digestion problems, it would be much better if you fed him frozen bloodworms if you want to keep giving him a treat. If he is still bloated after fasting, feed him frozen daphnia, that will encourage a good ol' poop. :) I've also witnessed on multiple occasions a flaring betta will poop, so you could always show him a mirror. :P Also, you really don't need to be changing his water that often. A 100% every week with a 50% in between will be plenty. If you get a water test kit you'll be able to monitor the levels best, if your amonia levels are usually high, then bump it up to 100% every 5 days with a 50% in between. 75* isn't the best, but it could definitely be worse. The biggest key would to keep the water temperature stable, too much fluctuation will really stress him out, so don't add warm water, etc. When you do have the money, definitely run out and get one of the little 10w heaters, the biggest benefit would be keeping the temperatures from declining at night.

Good luck with your little dude!

EDIT: OFL beat me to it. ^^
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #10 
fosschick

Freeze-dried bloodworms did that to my betta as well. :( I cut them out completely, fasted him, fed him daphnia, watched him poop a lot, and now his tummy is getting back to normal. Now I feed him primarily a varied diet of frozen foods he would find in nature. If you must use pellets or flakes, always soak them first, or he'll get bloated again as they expand. Also check the labels and make sure the first few ingredients are not crap like "wheat flour" or "soybean meal". The closest pellet I can find that seems suitable is by New Life Spectrum, and the growth formula is the only one I can find with a pellet small enough for my little guy's mouth. GL! :)
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote