Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #1 
elsilerjr

New in town

hey guys i just recently decided to join. I had been looking through posts for tips and decide i should share my info. I just got my betta a few months ago. The guy at the store sold me the basic marina setup with light. And after reading many posts saying its not good to keep a betta in a small tank i started looking for a new one. I came across a BiUbe 9 gal for 30$ retail at 130$ so i was stoked. Im cycling it right now but my local pet store dosnt stock items for the BiUbe so i was wondering if anybody knew any great online store's for cheap. I ordered a Volcano to cover the tube with a new light cuz this ones burnt out. i was also wondering what other fish i could put with him in the 9 gallon so hes not so alone. my guy in his small tank :( and this is my new 9 Gal Biube with nothing it yet, i just set it up today
elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

That...Is really thin. It's super tall too. Betta's need to be able to access air easily. I'm not sure if he'll have much room if you plan to add tank-mates. A few cories would be alright but I'm not sure...I heard tall tanks provide a lot of pressure which isn't good at all...I'm sure someone else will correct me.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #3 
elsilerjr

Its pretty big really. Has alot of room around and it is tall. I been watching YouTube vids and google and they all have bettas in it and there fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Kay. I've never owned a large tank so I wouldn't know. If it's that big then maybe a few cories. Betta's do well on their own as well. You could probably get away with a few tetra's too.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

What a cool deal on that tank!I am jealous!
I suggest getting some really tall plants that go almost up to the top.Bettas like to rest near the top sometimes..Especially if your tank is taller than wide..I am not sure how big the bottom surface area is but I believe it may be too small for normal sized corys..You may be able to do a few pygmy corys or dwarf rasboras.. ghost or cherry shrimp.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

Dont get any bottom feeders. That's not fair to them.. They dont have enough surface on the bottom to go on.

Id stay away from other fish in this tank. It can be done, yes (though Id suggest you have a filter if youre gonna get any, Idk if it has one), but youre guaranteed to encounter issues. Bottom feeders dont have enough room and higher level swimming fish are where your betta needs to be, which means every time the betta comes up for air, its going to compete with or chase the other fish.

I know the tank is big, but the height will give you trouble. Great tank mates would be non-fish, like shrimp or snails.

Instead, maybe, of having fish in there other than the betta, consider planting it. It would look really, really great! You can do a lot in that tank, and considering its height, you can plant live plants that would both look lovely and give your betta a place to rest and relax thats close to the surface.

You dont *need to have biube products, per se. The silk plants petco makes would work well! Also, have you considered removing the air tube, to give the fish more room? The bubbler is not needed at all and provides the betta with nothing, since it breathes surface air.

If youre looking, petsmart and petco.com may have them, amazon.com usually has great deals, and there's always ebay.

For live plants (a worthy endeavor) try bobstropicalplants.com, sweetaquatics (though have trouble sometimes with late shipping..), plantedaquariumcentral.com and aquabid.com in the plants section.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #7 
nowzem

Yeah, the taller than wide rule usually goes for all fish who don't have labyrinth organs (don't breath air) because they have less surface area for oxygenation. You can keep less fish in a tank that is taller than wide than one of the same gallon size that is longer than tall. A betta should be fine, and shrimp and snails sounds great!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #8 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Dont get any bottom feeders. That's not fair to them.. They dont have enough surface on the bottom to go on.

Id stay away from other fish in this tank. It can be done, yes (though Id suggest you have a filter if youre gonna get any, Idk if it has one), but youre guaranteed to encounter issues. Bottom feeders dont have enough room and higher level swimming fish are where your betta needs to be, which means every time the betta comes up for air, its going to compete with or chase the other fish.

I know the tank is big, but the height will give you trouble. Great tank mates would be non-fish, like shrimp or snails.

Instead, maybe, of having fish in there other than the betta, consider planting it. It would look really, really great! You can do a lot in that tank, and considering its height, you can plant live plants that would both look lovely and give your betta a place to rest and relax thats close to the surface.

You dont *need to have biube products, per se. The silk plants petco makes would work well! Also, have you considered removing the air tube, to give the fish more room? The bubbler is not needed at all and provides the betta with nothing, since it breathes surface air.

If youre looking, petsmart and petco.com may have them, amazon.com usually has great deals, and there's always ebay.

For live plants (a worthy endeavor) try bobstropicalplants.com, sweetaquatics (though have trouble sometimes with late shipping..), plantedaquariumcentral.com and aquabid.com in the plants section.
+1 :D

Welcome to the forum. ^^
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 
elsilerjr

Thanks for the feed back. It does have a 5 stage filter from the bottom and then it sends it out through the air hose. I thought about removing it but I have a nice center piece for it and it's not taking up that much room it's smaller then a hose. I may try live plants but I heard it can be hard to do. I still need to buy big tall silk plants for him.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

There are tons out there that would work well. Theres also this thing called a betta hammock, which suction cups to the tank and they rest on, its adorable.

Live plants are only as hard as you want them to be. There are also very easy ones! Depending on what gravel/substrate you have or plan to get, I and many other members can recommend them for you. Trust me, Im not great with plants, and even mine manage to live well and look good ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote