Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

It's a fin rot emergancy! My poor Akira!

Okay so in my last thread I thought Aki was coloring up...I was wrong. It's definietly a mild case of fin-rot. His ammonia and PH was fine this morning and I check it almost religiously. His rays were forked days ago but now they look filed down. The rest of the info is in my other thread. This is an emergancy I need to know what to do besides AQ salt! Should I add a decaf green tea bag for tannins? Do I use eposm salt too? I have NO clue what to do besides AQ salt, waterchanges and patience....

I'm such an idiot how did I let this happen!?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #2 
Harley

Put Aki in a QT bowl and do 100% daily water changes. Clean water is fin rot's worst enemy! You could use decaf tea bags as well if you want just not directly into the QT bowl. The decaf tea bags have mixed reviews on here and are known to not have as strong of tannins as IAL or oak leaves. Keep the temp at about 80F. IMO just go with the clean water changes and if the fin rot is in its early stages, it will eventually clear up using that, can't promise you how long it will take though. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks. However I don't have a QT bowl any containers that I could have put him and his heater in are long since covered in soap. I have no choice but to keep him in his tank and do daily changes. I might pick up a bowl tomorrow when I'm getting his medicine. I just hope I didn't scare him too badly I tried to get a pic and he stayed still long enough but the flash was pretty intense. I tried to tone it down but the camera had to be put against the glass just to get a clear image...And he moved blurring it. I'm going to go check on him right now.

EDIT: Checked on him he's hiding under a plant and tried to swim from me. That's unusual for him even when he's tired. He did eat some flakes although he sucked them towards him. Poor thing his tail is definietly disinagrating. It's the same size it was when he was brought home which since he's grown to his full size is way small. I can barly see the forks in his rays...I'm getting a QT bowl tomorrow along with meds and that is final. We still have gravel left over so I'm going to put that in and add his plant so he has somewhere to hide.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 04-26-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #4 
Harley

Oh and I forgot to mention to make sure you're feeding him a high protein diet of preferably fresh food, although not necessary. mosquito larvae, fresh brine shrimp, etc. Don't worry about the flash, its like looking directly at the sun. You wince for a minute and then you're o.k.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Oh and I forgot to mention to make sure you're feeding him a high protein diet of preferably fresh food, although not necessary. mosquito larvae, fresh brine shrimp, etc. Don't worry about the flash, its like looking directly at the sun. You wince for a minute and then you're o.k.
I'll see about getting some frozen brine shrimp and see about hunting down some of the insects that have invaded my home. Might feed a pesky spider to Aki. Just told my mom that we have to get Aki some IAL and AQ salt. She was tired but agreed. He's gonna get the best care we can provide for him.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #6 
Harley

I haven't heard of anyone trying that. You might want to double check on the spiders to make sure there's no poisons or other possible side effects.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Eh I was partially kidding. I double-tap anything that's an insect if it goes near the tanks. I'm probably going to buy him some special frozen foods tomorrow to add to my arsenal. At least I managed to get him to eat his flakes.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #8 
nowzem

If it IS fin rot, you're gonna have to disinfect everything in his tank with a 10% bleach sol'n or REALLY hot water. Fin rot is a bacteria and nothing else (besides the salt) will kill it. So if you put him in quarantine make sure you sterilize anything coming from his old tank...
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Well thankfully checking on him today my fears were unfounded. He doesn't have fin rot he's his normal self. He ripped off some of his rays which is why they look odd. He must have broken them off on his own. A few were missing and it looked like he did the deed himself. He's eating, active and his double-rays are still there aside from three that appear to have been bitten off. Maka had the white on her beard as well so I'm 100% sure they don't have fin-rot. I think Aki exhausted himself hence the sluggishness.