Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 
Aquamarine444

How to keep temperature constant for 2.65 gallon aquarium

Hi all!

New here. I have my first Betta...which I bought without any research. So I got a betta, a 1/2 gallon aquarium, and then I came to the internet to read. I know...stupid. Anyhow, I read how heating is required. And I couldn't find anything to heat a 1/2 gallon aquarium. So I bought a 2.65 gallon aquarium. Bought lots of other things too this time...including a heater.

The guy at the aquarium shop said a 25 watt heater will be good...I think that is what he had. He said it is set at 79 degrees. I thought great...so I don't have to worry about maintaining the temperature. But now I see that if I keep the heater on...it rises up within a few hours to about 90 deg. At night I switched it off because I didn't want my betta (we named him Anakin, because we love Anakin. lol!) to get hurt. So I checked the temperature in the morning...and it was 72 degrees.

But I read that the temperature should remain constant, and not fluctuate so much or my betta can die.

How do I keep the temperature constant for my 2.65 gallon tank? I am so worried for my betta. We'll be going out for a 2-day vacation on 17th, and will give the tank to my neighbor for 2 days. But I can't expect them to keep checking the temperature all the time. Is there a way to keep a small tank like this at constant temperature? Any kind of heater that can do this?

Also, my fish seemed to be much happier in its small 1/2 gallon tank. He never looked scared. If I went near the tank, he'd go nuts because he knew he was going to get food. Now if he sees me, he gets soooooo scared...bolts like lightening! I hate to see him so scared . Is it because of the change in home? Will he settle down? Or do I need to put him back in his old home?

Thanks!
Aquamarine
Aquamarine444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
Blaze54

I have a 10w Marina heater that has a sensor in it so that when the water get's the right temp, it shut's off. And then when it get's too cold, it comes on and heats up the water again. It's in my 2.5 but it says it will heat up to 2.65 gallons. Adjustable heaters are better but this works fine! It was like $15 at PetSmart. Good luck
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #3 
Aquamarine444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
I have a 10w Marina heater that has a sensor in it so that when the water get's the right temp, it shut's off. And then when it get's too cold, it comes on and heats up the water again. It's in my 2.5 but it says it will heat up to 2.65 gallons. Adjustable heaters are better but this works fine! It was like $15 at PetSmart. Good luck
Oh thank God!! You have saved my life! LOL! Ok...you have saved my betta's life. But I would have died before it because of worry. I'll get it tomorrow! So you just keep it on all the time and it takes care of the correct temperature?

Thank you! thank you! thank you!!
Aquamarine444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #4 
Blaze54

Basically yes, you still need to monitor the temp. though. Get a suction cup thermometer for like 2 bucks there also. But mine works great! Oh and your welcome Good luck!
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #5 
Slybarman

I am using this one with good results in a 2 gal:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Sub...7373546&sr=8-3
Slybarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.65 gallon, contant temperature