Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
honeyybearr

Red face Questions, a story, and pictures.

Hello!
So I bought Zero (lovingly nicknamed little creep because of the way he stares at people when they sleep) about a month ago and he was living in a 2.5 gallon tank. I have fallen in love with this little fish and decided to get him a new home yesterday. I went to an aquarium store to talk to the workers about what would be best for him. First off they tried to sell me a vase! and this isn't just a pet store it's a huggge fish/aquarium/specialty store! I politely declined and decided to go with a 5.5 gallon. They told me that I shouldn't get a tank that big because it disorients bettas who prefer to live in smaller spaces. They were down selling me which I thought was strange because wouldn't they want to sell more expensive things?
I went with my instinct and bought the 5.5 gallon anyway and have filled it with lots of things to keep Little Creep occupied. I think my favorite thing in the world is watching him explore a new home and swim through all the plants and in find his new favorite hiding places.
Anyway, my questions...
*Is a 5.5 gallon okay?
*I have a heater, top fin betta water conditioner, pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms as treats. Is there anything else I need to provide him with to keep him happy and healthy?
*Is is possible to "overplant" a tank? Is there too much stuff in Little Creep's home?
*I don't overfeed, 2 pellets in the AM and 2 at night but his tummy gets round. I skip feeding one day a week as well and when I look at him he still appears overfed?
*I don't have a filter but I do weekly water changes, but his water gets cloudy a day or two after I clean it. Does anyone know why? All the plants, gravel, decorations, etc... have been properly cleaned.
*Also, he never flares, that's okay... right?

I bought this little guy because he was inches away from dying at the pet store, I could barely get him to move in his little cup and I couldn't just leave him there. I never thought that fish had such monumental personalities but he really has character- he's so curious and clever, I couldn't be happier that he's in my life.

honeyybearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

I can only say this: Your doing GREAT! I don't think you can overplant a tank as betta's love having hiding places to rest on. He's a beautiful VT.

I'm surprised they tried to sell you a vase but unfortunatly I've had my own encounters with the baka's of big chain stores when the local fish lady isn't there. One guy at Wal-Mart tried to tell me that a stressed fish was a depressed fish not understanding that I was ticked off over the care.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 
tracyalexa

He is adorable. I have a few plants in one of my tanks (3 gal) and my guy loves them. He's only got a plant, a bridge, java moss & 2 plastic plants and seems pretty happy. :)
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 
honeyybearr

Thank you to both of you!
I just want to make sure I didn't put too much stuff in his tank, I've never had a fish before so I want to make sure I'm doing it all right!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 
alidawn15

What's the jellyfish thing?
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 
masshiimarro

so colorful! XD its awesome, seems like you should be doing fine.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #7 
honeyybearr

It's this decoration I found yesterday! You suction it to the bottom of the tank, fill the tank and it floats around! I bought it because it looked cool but everytime zero swims past it he bops it with his mouth like he is showing it who is boss! There are actually two in there the big pink one and a little green one but I think the flash hid the other smaller one.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #8 
alidawn15

i've never seen anything like that before.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 
chelsmarie23

It looks like you're doing everything right and your tank is AMAZING! I'd say as long as he is active and looks normal physically (no fungus growing on him, etc.) he is happy and healthy.

Your betta is stunning too. :]
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #10 
gbose

HoneyB,

You're doing great. A 5.5G is fine for a betta -- glad you didn't buy a vase! Add as many plants as you like -- they are good things!

I would suggest though that you add a small filter; bettas don't like strong currents, so make sure its not big. Tetra Whisper has a model for 1-3G tanks -- could be ideal for you.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, tldr