Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
hops523

Tearing down a 10 gallon, then filling back up?

So my 10 gallon has been cycling for about two weeks now. Ill be dividing it into three, for three males. I'll be moving in about 3 months, and wondering how easy it is to tear down a 10 gallon, and fill it back up? I'll have to bag the males, empty the water from the tank into buckets, and drive for about an hour with them in bags.

As long as I use the same water, I won't need to cycle the tank again correct? Would it be bad for the bettas if I left the tank barebottom until I move? Would it be easier if I kept each betta in a smaller enclosure, like a small kritter keeper till I move?
Thanks
hops523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Dont bother saving the water, your cycle on keeps if you keep the filter and it's media in water with a source of ammonia. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #3 
SmokeNLark

What I would suggest is put your males in with a subsrate (not bare-bottomed). When you move, you don't need to take the water. Just make sure that the gravel stays under a bit of water and your filter media is in water. Those are the things that has your good bacteria, not the water. As long as those are kept wet, you can pitch the water and fill up when you get to where you are going. Just make sure you set the tank up first thing, and not unpack other stuff first.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
hops523

Ahh I see. Haha thats a lot easier than hauling 10 gallons of water. Now, say I add the gravel when the tank is done cycling in a couple weeks, will that mess up my cycle? Id like to keep it barebottom just for now, so its easier to vacuum up the food that I've been feeding the tank.
hops523 is offline   Reply With Quote