Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #1 
OrangeDog

What & How Often do you feed?

I tried to search if this topic had been started and I dident find it so here goes:

I want to find out what other betta parents feed their bettas and how often you feed.

Ronnie & Tre alternate between BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes, Freeze-Dried Blood Worms and Freeze-Dried Plankton and I feed them almmost every day.
OrangeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

As a rule, freeze dried anything should be fed in serious moderation, as theyre unhealthy and cause bloat, similar to our potato chips. Feed that one time a week.

I feed my boys Tetra pellets and Omega One Minipellets. I feed every 2-3+ hours, totaling 3-4 a day. It suits my boys best, as one is prone to bloat and the other is young and growing.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

I know that there's at least one post like this roaming around since I recall posting on it, but doesn't hurt to bring it up again. :P

I feed my bigger boys BettaMin pellets (1 pellet 3x daily) and *was* treating them to freeze-dried blood worms, but my new one Bloo got fat and Sazzer wants nothing to do with it so I guess those will be going to just one of my boys. I have to try a new brand for my new boy Bloo since the BettaMin pellets + freeze dried blood worms made his belly big and scared me that it was dropsy. D= I also have BettaMin tropical medley but none of my boys would touch it.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #4 
OrangeDog

Wow! you guys feed multiple times a day?? I had somebody tell me she only fed her betta twice a week and he lived 7 years. I am trying to not over feed and just give them a little bit each day. So far so good... but its great to hear from others. One of the tanks I got came with the betta mini pellets and Tre would not eat them so I guess thats why I went to the flakes.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Seven years? I doubt it ;) I personally like pellets better, since its easier to tell how much they get.

Try giving a pinch twice a day.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
newarkhiphop

aqueon betta pellets

2 pellets x 2 times a day ( usally in the morning right after my breakfast and at night right after my dinner) and sometimes 1 pellet inbetween as a snack
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #7 
OrangeDog

maybe I should get some pellets... :)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

The bottle told me to give 3 pellets twice daily, but Sazzer was starting to get a round belly with it so I cut it down to 1 three times daily. I was considering on fasting them once a week after the incident with Bloo to cut down on possible bloat. He really scurred me! :<
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #9 
OrangeDog

next time I go to the petstore... which for me is very often. I have 3 dogs, the 2 betta boys plus I am changing my goldfish tank over to assorted tropicals. If I can get my mom's tank water issue fixed I will be headed to Tropical Isle tomorrow and I am sure they will have a great selection of betta pellets :)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Look for at least**** 42% protein, which is what they need. If your fish has a small mouth or is small itself, look for mini or micro pellets :)

Omega One, Tetra brand, Topfin (rareish), Hikari (NOT bio-gold), aqueon, and wardley are often used on this site.