Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #11 
OrangeDog

Thank you!

on a side note... how many Betta's do you have?
OrangeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Right now I have only two, but have had 4 in the past few years and 6 in total <3

Dont be fooled though... The number of fish you have isnt a good indicator of knowledge...

There are many members on this site who have gone from zero to upwards of ten in only weeks and know only the very basics, so keep that in mind ;) Base your trust in their info on what they post...and not how often and how much they post!

Last edited by PewPewPew; 04-26-2011 at 09:55 PM.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #13 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Look for at least**** 42% protein, which is what they need. If your fish has a small mouth or is small itself, look for mini or micro pellets :)

Omega One, Tetra brand, Topfin (rareish), Hikari (NOT bio-gold), aqueon, and wardley are often used on this site.
Just curious, why not the Hikari Betta Bio Gold? Because it is not high enough in protein?

Don't jump down my throat, but I have been feeding my bettas Hikari Bio-Gold for years, and Eli lived with me for 3 years (so he was at least 4 yrs old based on how long he lived with his previous owner).

Obviously, want what is best for my fish... but, interested to hear your opinion.

And to the original thread question: I feed (as stated above) Hikari betta Bio-Gold 4-5 pellets twice a day.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Recently (in the past few months) theyve changed the recipe to an amount of protein that is, yes, too little to live optimally on. If you can, you may want to consider changing, but its not too too bad. Just more of a warning to stay away since theyve yet to be purchased.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #15 
OrangeDog

I was not asking how many you have to be rude... sorry if it came across that way. I am just curious how many everyone on here has. I had one as a kid and have always had great memories of him so I am just getting back into it. I have the 2 boys right now with plans to get more.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

No no! Not rude, just letting you know, since you appear new here :) Just as a warning because some people give bad advice, even though it would,sensibly, appear that they are knowledgeable.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #17 
OrangeDog

Yea, I understand. I like these forums... I can get lots of peoples input and then choose what seems to feel right :)

I just checked and the staple diet my boys get is 48% protein so I guess this is good.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #18 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Recently (in the past few months) theyve changed the recipe to an amount of protein that is, yes, too little to live optimally on. If you can, you may want to consider changing, but its not too too bad. Just more of a warning to stay away since theyve yet to be purchased.
I see... The bag I have now is min 38% protein. I am definitely going to research that. I guess I assumed it was one of the best out there. :/ That is disappointing. Thank you for the info Pew (and for not jumping down my throat :D)

Also, in regards to your ques. Orange- For me, I have 2 male bettas right now and a female on the way! :) I have had a decent history with bettas... including this new female, I will reach a total of 10 in my lifetime.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #19 
smellsfishie

i take that back. I know I had another female at some point... a looong time ago. So 11... but 10 I can remember clearly and name. LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #20 
PewPewPew

I usually dont jump down people's throats, especially for genuine, honest questions. Dont listen to people who complain about me, theyre just mad that theyre wrong ;)

Its worth a shot looking into that...Hikari is a great brand, so its not wonder you thought that. They just changed it for some reason, which is odd. I think they have another product that works well, just not Bio-gold per se.

And dang! Thats great, they'll flourish with that. Flakes seem to be higher in protein content, though I personally dont like them because theyre messy. Booo!