Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #21 
Arianthy

I feed my bettas twice a day, Once before work and after i take care of the furry ones when i get home from work. I'm using Hikari Floating pellets since most all of my bettas eat them, about 2-3 per fish (my females I have to try to lure away from each LOL but some get more then they should), And every third day I feed brine shrimp (not really a worm person LOL) that i just give about a drop size to my males and just put some in the current of my filter in the sorority tank so that they can chase it down :P and it helps with distributing them a little bit.

But I have a problem with my females eating the sinking pellets meant for the corys that i have O_O although its a little funny to watch because they cant eat them until the water has softened them a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDog View Post
on a side note... how many Betta's do you have?
I have 6 Females and 3 Males - But I also take care of the male that my Dad has sitting on his desk. And I have a pair on its way :D
Arianthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #22 
denaliwind

I feed in the morning and night, I don't have a specific amount or size I feed, I just monitor their bellies, I feed them one piece at a time.

I feed... frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, occassionally live insects (ants/fruit flies) and just recently I started feeding pellets (48% protein, 14% fat) as I'm leaving for a month in the summer and I don't think the pet sitter is willing to take the time with frozen/live foods. ^^;

Things I will never feed my bettas are peas (scary), freeze dried foods (scary) and flakes (only 'cause they're messy XD)! D:

Last edited by denaliwind; 04-26-2011 at 11:20 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #23 
luluo

I feed D'Argo twice a day. In the morning I give him a couple of bites of Omega 1 Betta Buffet flakes (soaked in tank water for a minute), along with a small piece of frozen food like a brine shrimp, bloodworm, or another pice of a frozen multi-pack. The frozen food I have is San Francisco Bay brand. In the evening I feed him from whatever frozen food I have left from the morning feeding, depending on the size of the critters, like 3-4 brine shrimp, 2-3 bloodworms, or a few pieces from a multi-pack.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #24 
iheartmybettas

I have the old version of hikari bio gold I guess which has a much higher protein percentage. I feed my regular bettas 2 hikari pellets in the morning and switch between atisons and new life spectrum for dinner usually 3 pellets since they are smaller. My king male and giant get a little more. The sorority gets flakes and I'm trying to track down daphnia.

See sig for fish count.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #25 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I usually dont jump down people's throats, especially for genuine, honest questions. Dont listen to people who complain about me, theyre just mad that theyre wrong ;)

Its worth a shot looking into that...Hikari is a great brand, so its not wonder you thought that. They just changed it for some reason, which is odd. I think they have another product that works well, just not Bio-gold per se.
HAHA :) No one has complained about you that I know of. And, thank you. I didn't mean just you (about don't jump down my throat), but anyone who happened to read my post and wanted to comment... some people tend to get a bit touchy on this site, I noticed. But, I appreciate the input. :) You've always been very helpful and informative to me.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #26 
alixhero

I can't believe that u guys dunno that Betta Fish is actually a carnivores animal ...

Which mean it need MEAT to stablize the acid in its stomach , otherwise it will ended up slowly diguise its own stomach meats ...

And that is why normally they died in 4 years old , 2 times a week by feeding meat is way balance enought for it ^^
alixhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #27 
PewPewPew

The Pellets and flakes are made of meat/protien, which its fine.
Feeding just "meat" and not worms or bugs is not recommended for the usual betta owner, as it is difficult.
Something like chicken our beef meat isn't in their diet and is just as unnatural as a pellet.

Please do not belittle other members, especially when they do actually know what they are talking about.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #28 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixhero View Post
I can't believe that u guys dunno that Betta Fish is actually a carnivores animal ...

Which mean it need MEAT to stablize the acid in its stomach , otherwise it will ended up slowly diguise its own stomach meats ...

And that is why normally they died in 4 years old , 2 times a week by feeding meat is way balance enought for it ^^
No kidding which is why we try to feed them high protein pellets. No fish gets pellets in the wild but they are designed to have a similar makeup so that the fish are healthy and receiving the same nutrients without having to replicate the food they get in their natural habitat.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #29 
Blazer23

I feed Lightning Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. (2 pellets 2x a day) I tried freeze dried bloodworms but he just ignored them so I stopped.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #30 
BluInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Look for at least**** 42% protein, which is what they need. If your fish has a small mouth or is small itself, look for mini or micro pellets :)

Omega One, Tetra brand, Topfin (rareish), Hikari (NOT bio-gold), aqueon, and wardley are often used on this site.
Is the bio-gold not good for some reason?
PLEASE DISREGARD! I DIDN'T READ THRU ENTIRE THREAD!!

Last edited by BluInk; 04-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
BluInk is offline   Reply With Quote