Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Does this driftwood look ok?

I think my driftwood is rotting, so Im looking for new wood. I paid a lot for it, so Im furious.

What do you think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sample-2-Pack-SI...item27ba63fbaf

:I
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

I like it... Plus, it's CHEAP! :)
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Im worried that it will rot..I know it says it wont, but I dunno!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 
Pekemom

I personally would not use it in my tank. It certainly could rot or shred and who knows what little creatures could be dormant in there. Decorate without it, IMO.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #5 
vaygirl

www.aquariumplants.com
Not cheap, but all my driftwood (5 pieces) came from them. No rotting. One of them have been in my 16 for a year and a half. I've also bought a small variety pack from them to divide amongst my small tanks.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I cant get online stuff atm, Im moving out of this dorm in only a week and a half, and if it gets mailed to my rents, god knows what would happen... /___\
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #7 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Just my 1 cent and can be taken for that amount: "Sun dried for over a decade.".....Perhaps..but, that statement means absolutely nothing to me. The intense preparation they have put into the driftwood and the reason those pieces will arrive damp is because they have probably soaked their driftwood for a least one to two weeks and small pieces soaked for that long will (as well as should) sink immediantly. They state that if your driftwood dries out then boil it. That is correct but boiling will cause driftwood to leach tannins, fast. I wouldn't boil it if you are wanting a certain amount of tannins in the tank water. Also, a good indicator of their intense preparation of the pieces of driftwood is: if you order the wood and when you get it, I would advise to soak the wood some more. Start by soaking it for 3 days and see if it is going to expand and/or absorb additional water. If you notice that the wood is expanding, I would continue to soak the wood until it stops (whatever amount of time that is). The nice part about all of this is: they are selling the driftwood at a very reasonable price. About driftwood rotting: it took several years for the driftwood that I had to start shedding/shredding. But, they were very large pieces. Those pieces did begin to decompose around the thinner areas of the driftwood within a couple of years. This is what I know/this is what I have seen.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #8 
SinCrisis

softwoods will rot in your tank, hardwoods will last longer. You need to find out the name of the wood you are using and do some research. For example, manzanita is a harder wood than grapevine so grapevine will not last as long as manzanita in a tank and will be more likely to rot. By finding out what kind of wood you are getting, you can guage how long it will last.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #9 
JackisLost

Yelp "fish pets" and find a tropical fish store. You might pay 25% more but you can hand pick a centerpiece. I picked out 2 I thought were okay, but when I got home and soaked them, the colors and shape looked amazing under the light! Try to get a piece that isn't to rectangular or squared off, that has a good characteristic you like.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #10 
Lion Mom

Personally, when I need/want new wood for my tanks, I now purchase Mopani wood - sinks immediately, it's two-toned so it looks great & it doesn't rot!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote