Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #1 
n3wport

Exclamation You guys are gonna strangle me and my fish at this point lol..

My fish hasnt eatten properly nor daily since I had gotten him. No joke. 3 weeks..
These are the things I tried:
Flakes: he liked them for a little while (ate a tiny one every few days for a week) but stopped eating them
Pellets: got 3 different brands (Omega One are the smallest size, and he still wont eat them!)
I tried:
Soaking them in water, soaking them in garlic juice, crushing them
He wont even eat freeze dried blood worms?
I dont get it! he acts normally, swims around and flares and such, but when I put food in the tank, he'll go up to it, look at it, then take a breath of air and go back to swimming around. Is he blind? He doesn't swim into anything, and glides around and through his cave. I don't understand. I dont have the time to sit there for hours trying to get him to eat his food. I move it around so it looks like its alive or something, and he will just sit there and watch like "what is she doing?"

I usually try around 3-4pm when I get home from college, and he wont eat. When I get home from work around 10pm I try again and he wont eat! he shows interest in whats moving around up there but then swims away.

Im not trying to be gross.. but I dont think I ever saw him 'poop'. like how fish usually have poop hangin out of them sometimes? If I get him food to make him go how do I know he will eat that? arugh. He isnt bloated, and isnt really skinny. He looks and acts normal? BLASPHEMY YOU DO NOT EAT! I wish he wasn't a plakat, so maybe if he ate his tail he'd get some nutrition cause this 30 dollars worth of fish food all over my desk isn't cuttin it!

I dont want him to die of starvation? But how long until he is like "OMG I HAVENT EATTEN IN WEEKS FOOD YAY!"
Why do I always get the overly, unrealistically high maintenanced animals..
This makes me anxious cause I love him, and he is being a .. bleep. Lol.

Last edited by n3wport; 04-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #2 
Harley

How's the rest of his environment (water specs, temp, etc.)?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
How's the rest of his environment (water specs, temp, etc.)?
5 gallon filtered heated to 78, has lots of plants and hiding spots, he just finished this treatment for fungus and I did a 100% water change 2 days ago. But even before all of that he's always been this way.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

If you fill out the sticky at the top of this forum, it will give us more to help you.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 
denaliwind

Have you tried frozen food like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms... etc, there's a big list. Have you tried live food like wingless fruitflies?
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 
carzz

You haven't seen him eating and he's still swimming, sO he must be eating something. Try frozen bbs. I let mine defrost and then use an eyedropper and they love it.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #7 
roadrunner

That is strange. My new fish usually started eating after few days. Fish could go without the food for about 1 month, so you getting close. Could you try to call the store you bought him from and ask what they were feeding them? If he does not look skinny, you should be ok for a little while, just do not give up trying. Maybe he is just shy, so drop the food in and walk away and come back couple minutes later to see if it floating. I know my guys dive for pellets when they falling down or even pick them up from the gravel if they can access them. You could also try frozen worms. They have lots of protein and are better to feed more often than freeze dried type. Good luck!
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Have you tried frozen food like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms... etc, there's a big list. Have you tried live food like wingless fruitflies?
Ive read that frozen food can have diseases or bacteria of fungus! Is it okay to feed my fish them?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #9 
Canuck Fins

I feed my fish frozen bloodworms once a week. (I feed my fish pellets twice a day for six days, fast for one day and one of the feedings I substitute bloodwoms.) Yes, Ninja could get something from the food since it is frozen real food, not manufactured, but I think the risk is minimal.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Bettas generally love frozen foods. Mine practically jumps for his. As long as you only take out enough for one meal there should be any problems with bacteria or anything. Refreezing is not recommended. It looks kinda icky, but they nom it like there's no tomorrow :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote