Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 
Spanger

Unhappy fish - am I being a worry wort?

Hi All, got a little dude yesterday. Got him from a local breeder so no ikky pet store horror story to tell. He's quite young (spawned late jan 2011)

But I'm worried that he's not well. We got him home and put him into his pre-heated tank. Floated him in his bag etc...he was eager to get out and all that and when he did finalyy get free he played and played. Ate three pellets and just generally went nuts but within 6 hours he was floating in the top corner of the tank. very lethargic and generally sad. He was still like that this afternoon. He perked up for a bit in the middle of the day while I was testing the water but yeh - he's one pretty sad fish.

Could he be lonely? Being so young and having only just come from his spawn tank / barrack set up to being an only fish? I know that sounds dumb but he is all on his own.

About to do a water change to see if that will help.

By the way - I'm in Australia so if you recommend a brand of something can you tell me exactly what it's supposed to do so I can try to make sure I get something equal if I cant find the exact product mentioned.

thanks in advance.

Housing
What size is your tank? about 20L
What temperature is your tank? sitting at 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes - it came in the kit - dont know what kind it is
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - dont think do
Is your tank heated? - yes - as above
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? he is on Betta pellets. Not sure what the old owner had him on. Brine shrimp I think

How often do you feed your betta fish? we fed him once a few hours after getting home

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? have not yet done so

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: about 0.25ppm
Nitrite:between 0.25 and 0.5ppm
Nitrate: as above
pH: 7.2
Hardness: dont know
Alkalinity: don know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's sluggish I think
When did you start noticing the symptoms? within 6 hours of being put in his new tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? about to test some rain water I have sitting around to see if its OK to go into his tank. Will do a 50% water change

Does your fish have any history of being ill? dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 months.

He has an Indian Almond leaf and some java moss in his tank as well as one silk plant and one plastic coral thing. All rinsed in warm water at least one week ago.
Spanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Your nitrite and ammonia are too high. You should do a water change asap. Did you cycle the tank before adding you betta?

Also, what brand of pellets did you feed him?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 
Spanger

the brand is Aquariun pellets.

I just changed some of the water - do you recommend 50% and can I re-test straight away or should I leave it for a while.

I heated the replacement water up (the bucket in a tub of hot water) and no I didnt cycle it - I didnt know I had to until too late - I had already arranged to pick the fish up when I was told I needed to do it. I'm a complete newbie to fish owning.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

The ammonia is okay, though try and keep it lower... He's older than 2 months, even if spawned in February. I have a fish his age and he fared well.

Do not use rainwater if you live anywhere near a city, as it will not be safe to use. You use conditioner, right?

Perhaps leave him to settle, allow him to adjust, do not feed for a day and keep his tank dark once you do a water change, Id say around 50% for the time.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Wait, so you have ammonia, nitrates/nitrites at those levels even though you didnt cycle and didnt have the fish in for more than 6 hours?

Are you sure?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 
Spanger

I'm pretty sure - we added some of the water from the cup he came in so that might be the reason it's so high? I had trouble reading the test tube - it was a bit of "is it this or is it that". I was certainly NOT the yellow like it should have been for 0ppm.

I already used the rain water but wont do that again. Thanks. I'll rinse the bucket out and fill it with tap water to start it aging so i can do partial water changes over the next few days.

I have some betta related drops. Betta care and betta start I think from memory. I added them as per instructions on the bottle.

I'll leave him now as there's not much I can do. I have a paper to write for University but I just feel hopeless I'm a four leg pet person and can usually handle anything the fur children throw at me. I just have to hope that he'll be OK.

I'll re-test late tonight or early tomorrow and if pop down to the pet shop tomorrow after work to get some ammonium lock stuff if it's not looking any better.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

Good.. I dont know what those two things are, though. Medicines?

Btw- get some conditioner, its easier that aging and removes more.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #8 
Spanger

Um, I got them in a kit. they're called Betta bio start, betta water ready and betta bio clean

the Bio start says contains microorganisms for establishing and maintaining bio action necessary for cleaning fresh water naturally. Removes toxic ammonia and nitrite

the water ready says conditions tap water eliminating chlorine, chloramins and ammonia while protecting fish by coating ...with aloe vera and colloids

the bioclean says removes biological waste...

I'll grab some conditioner tomorrow.

By the way he seems a little bit happier already.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Thats good news. He might just be adjusting.

Also, those appear not to work...Considering how high your levels are! Ditch em!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #10 
Spanger

Noted. :D

We've poured so much money after this little dude already. I cant believe how expensive one fish has been. I assume it gets a bit cheaper the more you get :) Which we will do if he survives.

He already seems a lot happier. We've also decided he's shy / has a bit of an attitude. He was so peeved with me after I changed the water he went to his cave and just now we were watching him from the hallway and he was swimming happily. when we went into the room he's in - he hid!

While I dont pretend my tank chemistry is off - I think a big part appears to be he's a shy dude too.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will do small changes daily if thats what it takes to keep him happy.