Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Conducting an experiment~

so, we all know that it's good to sometimes switch around the decor in out bettas tanks. it keeps them stimulated, and often helps with sorority aggression. but, what about total tank switching and placement?

well, since i have 8 bettas, i've decided to see how my babies do with tank switching! i've decided to switch around the tanks of:
Cup
Lulu
Zidane
Chappy
Caroline
Ichi
Purple

Theo is staying out of this, since i feel he's comfortable enough in his current tank, and i'd hate to switch tanks and placement on him. he knows where everything is, and a tank swap, i feel, would stress him out.

the only downside to this is, Lulu and Purple are in 1 gallons, so someone's gonna hafta be downgraded. D: i don't like it, but it's just for a little while, so i'm okay with it.

the tanks are staying in their spots. that means, Caroline's tank, who Lulu is going in, is staying on my desk. Lulu's gonna be my desk betta for a while. :3 Caroline, on the other hand, is going into Chappy's 3 gallon, which is way over on my dresser. D: i'll miss her alot this week. ;A;

it's hard work, since i'm doing seven water changes and tank swaps, and i only have two cups i can find. >.>; i apparently misplaced King Steve's walmart cup, otherwise i'd use that. xD

i'm curious to see how this experiment works out. :d anyone else ever try something like this?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #2 
Luimeril

so, i changed my mind, and did NOT include Ichi in this. i figured, he and Theo have a good thing going on, where Ichi doesn't mind being next to and in sight of Theo, so why ruin that? otherwise, everyone's a bit miffed that i changed their water, but they're exploring their new tanks with great curiosity!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #3 
ghostfish2

i switch the decor in my tanks once ever 2 months or so. Is this to fast to switch the decor around?
ghostfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #4 
kathstew

I just made a major switch because I started a sorority.
I have: Spazz (used to be in a 1.7 gal), Noname (in a half gal - he was supposed to be a girl in quarentine for the sorority, turns out he was a boy), Ocean and Drama Queen (used to be in a 5.5 gal divided). I also got three new girls who were in cups (obvi).

Spazz is switched to one side of the 5.5 divided, and I think he is LOVING it. He has a few new decorations and plants, and more space. I put noname on the other side of the 5.5 divided, but he didn't like it. So he is now in Spazz's old 1.7 tank and he loves it. He has all new decorations and plants, and he's on my desk. All the new girls are in the ten gallon sorority, with all new decorations, plants, filter, heater etc. and they ADORE it. They zip to and fro. :P

I think switching the tanks up is a great idea. I bet all your bettas are loving it. How are they doing? I think it just depends on the betta, and if they can handle the stress of a change.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 
Luimeril

Caroline hates it. .___. i woke up, to see her clamped, sitting at the top of the water. i watched her for a good while(because i felt lazy and didn't want to get out of bed), and she didn't move. i thought she'd died! Dx turns out, she's just moping about. Lulu, who's in Caroline's tank, is stressing herself out with the filter. she tries to swim against the current, and just gets batted about a bit. so, i'm gonna hafta do ANOTHER switch. this time, put Zidane(who's in a one gallon), in the 3 gallon that Caroline's in, put Lulu in the one gallon, and put Caroline back in her tank. everyone else seems to be enjoying the changes. Cup is darting about in Zidane's bin, Chappy is enjoying Cup's tank, Purple loves being in Lulu's bowl next to me, and Zidane, shockingly, is enjoying the one gallon!

all this change. because i wanted to see if Lulu liked the tank Caroline has. xD

oh, and ghostfish, i don't think that's too much change! before Dante passed, i'd switch his decor around every week. it kept him occupied as he explored his "new" surroundings, and kept him from tail biting. :3
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #6 
copperarabian

why don't you just leave them in their aquariums and change the decorations instead? Or rotate one decoration from each aquarium so they still have familiar stuff, but still have a new thing to stimulate them?
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #7 
Luimeril

because i got bored. :d they do seem to enjoy the different surroundings around them(except Caroline. xD i spoiled her too much!). it was just something i wanted to try out. :3 and, all but Caroline seem to enjoy it!