Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #11 
Midnightwolf6

None of my fish have been sick like this before...
Midnightwolf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #12 
Blazer23

Oh, sorry that my post was futile to you.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #13 
Canuck Fins

Start with a water change and adding a heater. Warm up the water a couple of degrees every half hour or hour so your fish is slowly acclimatized. Check other threads for recommendations on heaters if you aren't sure what kind to get. If you get a heater, also get a thermometer to put in the water; they are inexpensive and a good way to make sure your heater is accurate.

I wouldn't add salt just because you don't know what's wrong. Some illnesses respond to aquarium salt while others are better treated with epsom. Keeping the water clean is very important, esp when your fish isn't well.

Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #14 
Blazer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Start with a water change and adding a heater. Warm up the water a couple of degrees every half hour or hour so your fish is slowly acclimatized. Check other threads for recommendations on heaters if you aren't sure what kind to get. If you get a heater, also get a thermometer to put in the water; they are inexpensive and a good way to make sure your heater is accurate.

I wouldn't add salt just because you don't know what's wrong. Some illnesses respond to aquarium salt while others are better treated with epsom. Keeping the water clean is very important, esp when your fish isn't well.

Good luck!
Thanks for the correction you obviously have more experience than me.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

It sounds like she needs increased water changes and a heater asap (while she is sick you should do water changes at least every other day). It would also be a good idea to switch to a better water conditioner like prime. I love Jungle products but I wouldn't trust them in such a small tank. How do you treat the water with the Jungle Fizz tabs? You are not supposed to drop it in the tank with the fish (the fizzing action is not good for fish-she might have gotten "burnt" from that?).
You can try giving her something that helps repair the slime coat like "Stress Coat".
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #16 
Canuck Fins

Blazer, it's lots of reading around here and experience with my own fish. You are learning and asking the right questions. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #17 
Midnightwolf6

I broke the tablet up cause it said they were for 10 gallon tanks than I dropped it in a container with some water and let it fizz once it was gone I poured the water in her tank. I'm going to stop by petco after my class and see what they have for heaters and another tank.. I was at walmart Nd bought another betta the other day so he's in her old tank >.< i couldn't help myself haha
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwolf6 View Post
I broke the tablet up cause it said they were for 10 gallon tanks than I dropped it in a container with some water and let it fizz once it was gone I poured the water in her tank. I'm going to stop by petco after my class and see what they have for heaters and another tank.. I was at walmart Nd bought another betta the other day so he's in her old tank >.< i couldn't help myself haha
Breaking up the tablet is not a reliable way to measure it out since the chemicals are not always consistent throughout the tablet. It is better to place the entire tablet in a known amount of water, stir well, then take out the right amount to treat the tank. She might have chlorine toxicity. While you are shopping, you might want to pick up a liquid water conditioner. Good luck, I hope she feels better soon :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #19 
TheKingsFish

I have had more experience with liquid water conditioners and find that not only do they react faster, you get more doses for the slightly larger amount of money you have to spend. Also, it is perfectly okay to do as DarkMoon17 suggests: sometimes having water that has settled for a few days gives the conditioner more time to react with it to take out the harmful chemicals in the water without removing beneficial minerals. I sometimes prefer using aged water on sick bettas because I find it tends to lower their stress levels and promote new growth.

If you do not yet have a heater, perhaps try to figure out if your hospital container is small enough that you can use occasional sessions of body heat to keep her warm in the meantime. Just keeping her against your abdomen under a blanket while you're watching TV might perk her up for a little while, as will being in the dark because it will decrease the fear response and stress level in your fish.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #20 
Midnightwolf6

Welll my little betta passed away today a little after I got home from class ): at least she isn't suffering anymore