Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

100% change okay on our 1.5 gal tanks?

We're doing a 100% change tomorrow as we've been doing fifty percent on Aki and Maka's tanks...But Aki's gravel is disgusting and it needs to be cleaned desperatly and I do not want him to go trying to eat food that he's left sunken in there.

The question is: He won't be stressed too much will he? As long as I let him acclimate properly and let the temp go up. Should I keep the heater plugged in after the tank is done being cleaned to heat it up before adding the water?

I know you guys are probably sick of me and my worries I just don't want to take any chances.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #2 
Harley

I would recommend getting a gravel vacuum to clean your substrate. Its much easier than doing 100% water changes and less stress on your fish. You'll definitely want to acclimate them though. I would definitely leave the heater on to get the temp to the same as it was before adding them back.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
nowzem

It depends on if the tank is cycled or not...do you have a way of testing your water? And siphoning a 1.5g may prove difficult if your siphon is too large (it will suck the water out too fast)! He should be fine as long as you acclimate him (take it slow and leave his lights off).
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Anything under 2.5ish gallons can't really hold a stable cycle. So you should be doing 100% changes. I do a 50% change and a 100% change every week. If you don't do 100% changes, the gravel gets nasty, like is happening to you. Then the ammonia builds up quicker. Your betta will be fine with the changes. As long as you acclimate to the temp and make sure the tank temp is right before re-adding him, there is no problem with it at all.

I have one that gets super stressed at water changes, but he is no worse for wear afterwards.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 
nowzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNLark View Post
Anything under 2.5ish gallons can't really hold a stable cycle. So you should be doing 100% changes. I do a 50% change and a 100% change every week. If you don't do 100% changes, the gravel gets nasty, like is happening to you. Then the ammonia builds up quicker. Your betta will be fine with the changes. As long as you acclimate to the temp and make sure the tank temp is right before re-adding him, there is no problem with it at all.

I have one that gets super stressed at water changes, but he is no worse for wear afterwards.
+1. :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 
denaliwind

Quote:

+1 :)
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Okay thanks guys. I was worried there for a bit but he always lets food sink and then gets in the way when I try to remove it so I really have no choice. Since I haven't had Maka as long we're doing a 50% change on her tank because she gets so stressed so easily.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 
roadrunner

Quote:

+1 and...
If you get nice smaller cup to catch your betta instead of the net, they may not be as stressed. Some bettas will even swim in the cup on their own. They know their home will be nicer/cleaner soon
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 
Blazer23

I clean my gravel with a bowl with holes(not a strainer)
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
+1 and...
If you get nice smaller cup to catch your betta instead of the net, they may not be as stressed. Some bettas will even swim in the cup on their own. They know their home will be nicer/cleaner soon
Unfortunatly the cup manuver only worked once as I keep their original cups for waterchanges...And Akira got a lot smarter moving out of the way when he feels the current. Took ten minutes with the net but at least he didn't try to abandon ship.