Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #1 
tokala

Dreaming of aquascaping (when I should be studying!)

Well, I spent WAY too much time drooling over this website yesterday: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/10/...st-top-10.html

I think I really want to try creating a planted tank! I know it is unrealistic to think it could look like any of these at first. But a girl's gotta start somewhere! One little problem....I know NOTHING about aquatic plants. So I am starting my research. A few questions:

1. Would this 7.5Gal cube be big enough to support one of these little eco systems? I have a powerful light for it, but no hood. (See picture. It's currently uninhabited and stuffed in the closet) Perhaps I could have a glass business make me one...

2. What would you all recommend for my grass-like plant to take hold of the substrate? Is one kind easier for beginners? I want a carpeting effect.

3. There is no where in my town, or close to, that I can buy these plants. I will either have to travel or order off the internet. Do you all have luck with getting plants in the mail?

4. I have had no luck with driftwood. I have boiled it, soaked it, dried it out again, and it still always introduces some crazy white stuff and dark tannins to my tanks. I know both are harmless but I dont like they way they look. Anyone have tips on driftwood?

5. Do I need a filter?

I know I have heaps of research to do, but I appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Attached Images

Last edited by tokala; 04-27-2011 at 08:43 AM.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 
JackisLost

For beginners I recommend mosses tied down to rock or driftwood branches. For a carpet get some round lake rocks and tie some fissidens to them with those netted shower things you use to shower with, don't know the name on hand. Fissendens tied to rocks carpet well later on and easily moved out of tank to clean the gravel, then place your carpet back. Make sure you have a good light.
I like to keep my tanks low tech.
You can see I'm starting a moss carpet, and the shower spongy net thing I am using
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 
SmokeNLark

1. Would this 7.5Gal cube be big enough to support one of these little eco systems?
Yeah, that would be fine. I have a planted 5 gallon and it is working very well. I'd just look to see how tall the plants get. Is the light florescent? That's what you need for plants. If not, get low-light hardy plants and place the tank where there is natural light. I have an incandescent for mine, but all plants are low light and lots of sunlight in the room, and they are doing very well.

2. What would you all recommend for my grass-like plant to take hold of the substrate? Is one kind easier for beginners? I want a carpeting effect.
I agree with the java moss idea. That or I think dwarf hairgrass is a good one too.

3. Do you all have luck with getting plants in the mail?
I got plants from http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/main.sc Highly recommended! Great selection and plants came in wonderful condition. They were packages very well. No hitchhikers. And she threw in a few extra plants. Shipping is a little expensive, but very worth it! The site also tell you what lighting conditions each plant needs, how hardy they are, how tall they get, etc.

4. Anyone have tips on driftwood?
I get the same stuff. Some pieces of driftwood will leak tannins for years. Water changes lighten the water again. I don't think the darker water looks too bad. As for the white stuff, I got it too. In my tank and my dads. I have found that my mystery snail loves the stuff. And during water changes, I take it out, rinse it, and scrub it off. Both tanks now don't have the white stuff. Maybe it goes away after time?

5. Do I need a filter?
Yeah, you need a filter. It introduced air to the water and keeps water moving a bit. I think most plants need one.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote