Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 
briser

Exclamation OMG I AM FREAKING OUT! Help!!

I don't know HOW THIS HAPPENED!!!! My betta Marc is in a 5.5 gallon cycled/heated/divided tank. There is absolutely NOTHING in his tank that possibly could have ripped his fins, NOTHING. Everything is very soft and there are no sharp edges on his deco. And there is no way he jumped the divider because Lorenzo is fine and Marc is still in his own side, plus Lorenzo isn't aggressive at all.

I left 2 hours ago to go see my boyfriend and before I left everything was fine.. when I came back Marcs fin (the fine that comes out of the end of him, not sure the name.. its not the one under him but the one at the end.) was tore to shreds! It doesn't look like biting because its so scraggly.. but there are chunks missing but I can't find any chunks in the tank... I am soooo freaking out.. He had a horrible case of fin rot when I first bought him and he grew at least 3cm of new fins that were GORGEOUS. He is my favorite so please help!!

Here are pics of before I put him in the divided...

And this is what I came home to...

^^ You can see all the beautiful re-growth on the fin at the bottom of his body in these pictures... his fins were perfect now look at them!

All I have is a .5 gallon qt tank and aquarium salt.. what do I do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided with another betta.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets and bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning and 2 at night.. one bloodworm on water change day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Before it was cycled I did 2 changes a week (50% each) Now I do one a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin at the end of his body is torn to shreds, doesn't look like tail biting because it is very scraggly looking. Definitely not fin rot because it happened in the matter of 2 hours and the rest of his fins are perfect.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Didn't so far.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 Minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No because I don't know what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had fin rot when I first got him but he got over it really fast!
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think he is pretty old because he is HUGE.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
Silverfang

It looks like tail biting to me. Feathery "rays" with the tissue chomped in between is how my boy tends to bite his fins. If it is biting as I suspect, lots of clean water. Aq salt can also be used for treating.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 
briser

Also, a big part of the scraggly strings are KNOTTING TOGETHER. There is no possible way I'd ever be able to get the knot undone because it's huge and super tight... You can't see it in the pic because it's kinda hidden.

Should I QT him? How much aq salt should I use in a .5 gallon QT tank? What should I keep the temperature in the QT tank? How can I prevent this from happening again?
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Yup, tailbiting. Treat with clean water and maybe AQ salt if you feel the need. If you use the AQ salt, I would use the .5 gallon QT because you have to do 100% water changes a day on the salt treatment.

Edit: It's 1 teaspoon a gallon, so half a teaspoon for you. Pre-mix the salt into fresh dechlorinated water :) Use for no more than ten days.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
Silverfang

yep, lots of clean water, possibly salt to treat, and a higher protein food will help encourage fin regrowth. I was advised to try live, but frozen is the closest I can get. After a week lots of clear regrowth for me at least.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote