Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #1 
Tigerfish1704

Question New Tank. Are these ok?

Hey guys!(and girls)

I have a new 10 gal tank. I am kind of new to this so I thought I would ask first before I made some hideous mistake. I was thinking about putting some tetras in there with a few mystery snails with my betta. Also, some some one suggested I put some Platys.(instead of the Tetras) Would this be ok? What would you do?
Tigerfish1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Are you planning to cycle the tank?

Tetras may nip the fins of the betta although some people do have them together. I believe tetras are schooling fish so you'd need 6 or more. I'm not sure how many fish you can stock in a 10G.

I'm sure someone else will have more ideas. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #3 
Tigerfish1704

I have heard of tetras nipping that is why I asked about the Platys. Do they nip?

To be completely honest I have heard everyone talking about cycling and, in theory, know what it is but I have never done it myself and I am not sure how to do so.

Last edited by Tigerfish1704; 04-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Not sure on platys...

Here's the short on cycling....

When I cycled my tank, I did a fishless cycle using shrimp tied in a piece of pantyhose so it would be easy to remove at the end. I used a liquid test kit as they are more accurate; I have the API master kit which while a bit more expensive, is accurate. I let the shrimp rot in the tank to produce ammonia. I tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. As the cycle sets up, the ammonia spikes and drop as the nitrites appear. This is followed by nitrites spiking, ammonia dropping to zero. Then the nitrates appear and spike while ammonia and nitrites drop to zero. The bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrates to nitrites. Nitrites are the least harmful to the fish. A cycled tank needs smalller, less frequent changes. When my ammonia and nitrites were at zero and my nitrates were at 10ppm steady for three days, I removed the shrimp, did a partial change and bought my fish.

Fishless cycling isn't hard, but it takes time so you have to be patient. You need a heater and filter on the tank. You need a source of ammonia and a test kit. Ask if you want to do it and have questions. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #5 
Blazer23

Platys are completely compatible with bettas male and female.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #6 
Tigerfish1704

Platys it is then!
So you used frozen shrimp tied in pantyhose to do the fishless cycle? Hmm... Sounds like a good idea! Do you have an idea about (less expensive) kits I can get?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 
ds2009

The API master test kit is the only one you really should get. I know its exspensive but in the long run you will save money since it will last you for years and years. I did a fish in cycle which was very easy. I just kept my betta in the tank and did two 50% water changes a week until it cycled after about 5 weeks. Plants help too with the cycling process. Also i currently have tetras in my 10 gal with my betta and they dont nip his fins. The best thing to do if you were still considering tetras would be to get like 4 so that they arent confident enough to attack your betta as a group. Platys are really cool though so whichever you decide to have im sure they will be happy!
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #8 
Tigerfish1704

I will seriously try to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit then.

Just for future reference how are tetras and Platys together? Any problems?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 
shinybetta

Tetra's and platy's are fine together.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote