Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 
Grundylady
New Member
 
Grundylady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quick - need answer fast.

I saw this beautiful female crowntail today at petco. She was very perky - she tried to bite me through the container.

She was this lovely opal pink with maroon fins. BUT just in front of her dorsal fin (The one on her back) was a white splotch. It was NOT furry or anything.

I am trying to decide if I should go back and get her or not.....the only place I would have to put her though is in a community tank I am cycling right now. (No ammonia yet.) but it currently has 2 cherry barbs and a corydora. I will be getting cardinal tetras eventually. Would she be happy with those tankmates? Would the cherry Barbs bother her? Do you think she has ick?

The tank is the 6.5 gallon Fluval Chi so surface area is less then some other tanks.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #2 
Blazer23
New Member
 
Blazer23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cheeseburger, Awsomeness
It does not matter if it is sick you can care for it. The other questions, I can't answer.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
If you are planning all those fish in the 6.5 gal...it will be over crowded to start...a poorly stocked and overstocked tank will end up being a lot of problems in the long term....I would hold off on any fish right now until you have researched the species you like so you can properly meet their needs....

With any community tank-new fish needs to be QT for at least 3 weeks before you add them anyway....

If you already have the 2 Cherry barbs and 1 corydora in the 6.5gal tank-they are the ammonia source and you need to monitor the water prams and make needed water changes per the water pram readings...if you don't have water testing kit...make twice weekly 50% water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate vacuuming until the nitrogen cycle has established in 2-8 weeks

I would not add a Betta to the 6.5gal tank with your current stocking plans.....its not big enough for the proper schools of the fish you have now...let alone the other fish you want to add........

You stock based on the adult size of the fish not the current size, you also stock based on territory needs, compatibility, social needs, swimming needs, chemistry and water temp needs.....other than the Betta the 3 species of fish you have and plan to get are all social fish that needs to be kept in groups of at the very least 5 and more the better and the 6.5gal is barely big enough for 1 of the species let alone all 3 and a Betta.....
When not kept in proper school they usually won't drop dead..... but they may be stressed and stressed fish can be sick fish and soon the whole tank will be sick- then you can end up with fish that only survive and not thrive...... plus, you will miss all the neat behaviors they can display when kept in a closed system......

I can't stress enough on the needs of proper stocking.....in the long run both you and the fish will be much happier....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #4 
Blazer23
New Member
 
Blazer23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cheeseburger, Awsomeness
Can't she or he just add a pleco, also, what is QT
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #5 
roadrunner
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
QT means quarantine
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #6 
bettafish15
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer23 View Post
Can't she or he just add a pleco, also, what is QT
No, every kind of pleco is too big for that tank. QT means Quarantine. It's pretty much when you keep a fish by itself for awhile in a small tank to ensure that it doesnt have anything wrong with it, and is safe for a community tank. It's also used for treating sick fish.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine
Member
 
Arashi Takamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cerulean City.
You could get a ten gallon at Wal-Mart for like twelve bucks. I wouldn't add too many fish but if you really want a female I'd get neon tetra's. A member here has cardinal tetra's and they've nipped his HM multiple times. Neons are a lot more peaceful.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #8 
Grundylady
New Member
 
Grundylady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thank you for the info. I will resist the temptation.

The local fish store had given me to understand that the cherry barbs should be kept in pairs and not schools unless in a very large tank. Perhaps I was misinformed.

Once it is cycled and I add the tetras I know it will be a little heavy...but was assured that with weekly 25% water changes they would be alright.

I do have a test kit (API Master test kit) and also a dip strip which shows no ammonia so far. (Using the dip to monitor alkalinity and Ph everyday as I am struggling to keep the ph low.)

Anyway - thank you for bringing me back down to earth so to speak. That betta is just so pretty - they are so much more addicting then I imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you are planning all those fish in the 6.5 gal...it will be over crowded to start...a poorly stocked and overstocked tank will end up being a lot of problems in the long term....I would hold off on any fish right now until you have researched the species you like so you can properly meet their needs....

With any community tank-new fish needs to be QT for at least 3 weeks before you add them anyway....

If you already have the 2 Cherry barbs and 1 corydora in the 6.5gal tank-they are the ammonia source and you need to monitor the water prams and make needed water changes per the water pram readings...if you don't have water testing kit...make twice weekly 50% water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate vacuuming until the nitrogen cycle has established in 2-8 weeks

I would not add a Betta to the 6.5gal tank with your current stocking plans.....its not big enough for the proper schools of the fish you have now...let alone the other fish you want to add........

You stock based on the adult size of the fish not the current size, you also stock based on territory needs, compatibility, social needs, swimming needs, chemistry and water temp needs.....other than the Betta the 3 species of fish you have and plan to get are all social fish that needs to be kept in groups of at the very least 5 and more the better and the 6.5gal is barely big enough for 1 of the species let alone all 3 and a Betta.....
When not kept in proper school they usually won't drop dead..... but they may be stressed and stressed fish can be sick fish and soon the whole tank will be sick- then you can end up with fish that only survive and not thrive...... plus, you will miss all the neat behaviors they can display when kept in a closed system......

I can't stress enough on the needs of proper stocking.....in the long run both you and the fish will be much happier....
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #9 
Grundylady
New Member
 
Grundylady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
You could get a ten gallon at Wal-Mart for like twelve bucks. I wouldn't add too many fish but if you really want a female I'd get neon tetra's. A member here has cardinal tetra's and they've nipped his HM multiple times. Neons are a lot more peaceful.
Thx for the info on the cardinals.

I'd say unfortunately my Walmart does not do fish supplies - but reading on here about how many Bettas are treated at WalMart, I guess it is just as well.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine
Member
 
Arashi Takamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cerulean City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundylady View Post
Thank you for the info. I will resist the temptation.

The local fish store had given me to understand that the cherry barbs should be kept in pairs and not schools unless in a very large tank. Perhaps I was misinformed.

Once it is cycled and I add the tetras I know it will be a little heavy...but was assured that with weekly 25% water changes they would be alright.

I do have a test kit (API Master test kit) and also a dip strip which shows no ammonia so far. (Using the dip to monitor alkalinity and Ph everyday as I am struggling to keep the ph low.)

Anyway - thank you for bringing me back down to earth so to speak. That betta is just so pretty - they are so much more addicting then I imagined.
If you want the betta then get her, her own tank. Like a 2.5 minibow. It comes with a filter and light and the only thing you need to add is a heater. Critter keepers make good tanks too.

(PS: I use cookie jars as my tanks. Trust me betta's especially the CT's are addicting. I have a crowntail male of my own so I know where your coming from.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20 gallon tank question! please answer fast AaryonN Betta Fish Care 16 09-19-2010 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.