Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #1 
JenMarie10

Question Plastic shoe/storage boxes

I have heard of some people using plastic storge containers to house bettas. I want to know what your point of view on this is. Bad, okay, good? Ups & downs and what not.
JenMarie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2 
Arianthy

I keep my hamster in a Long 60 Quart storage container, it gives him lots of room compared to most hamster cages and i can add alot of litter for him to tunnel and what not.... but i dont think I'd ever keep fish in one. You cant really get a good look at the fish it the container isnt clear... i guess the only way i'd use one for holding fish is if I use it to keep fish in while doing a 100% water change... but i keep all the plastic cups my bettas came in to hold them in if i have to change alot of the aquarium water.
Arianthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #3 
kathstew

LOL. I didn't get the title for a second, I thought you just meant plastic shoes. LOL. Its been a long day XD

I've used a plastic container to hold a betta for a few days once. I know some members use them long term, and I haven't heard any complaints about them. The only thing I felt bad about them, was that some aren't completely transparent. I had a betta in one that had a bit of a murky view, because of the plastic that was used. My lil' guy didn't like not being able to see out of it clearly. So if you use one, make sure the betta can see clearly out of it.

I've actually heard some really great things about using plastic containers. Good luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 
JenMarie10

I found some that would hold 1.5 gallons of water at dollar gerneral for only $1. They are completely transparent. The only problem I have is that you can't see through the lid. The lid is white. So I'd have to put the betta on a shelf so I can see it at eye level. I was thinking that maybe I could house one in one of the storage containers while I find a new tank (for impulse buys). I am a horrible impulse betta buyer. Can't help myself.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #5 
kathstew

You could try making your own lid with some mesh. I believe I have heard of others on this forum doing a similar thing.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 
JenMarie10

Kathstew! Thats a great idea! Thanks. =].
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I like the plastic containers as emergency QT and 'just in case'... I also have two 1 gallon buckets that I use with my aquariums... in a pinch, I can throw in a small heater and plunk the fishes in. Not ideal but for emergencies, it works fine.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote