Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #21 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

A full grown adult betta male is about 2.5-3.5" long with well-developed finnage. The pet stores usually sell the males close to 9-months to a year old, to make sure their finnage is fully developed.

Any betta smaller than 1.5" could be a fry... less than 9 months old.

So how big is he, approxamately? You don't have to be precise. 'Ball-park' it, if you will... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #22 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

"A full grown adult betta male is about 2.5-3.5" long with well-developed finnage."

Of course, this varies with the breed of betta as well...
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #23 
forscl24

When I get my 55 gallon tank set up, should I still refrain from using the Aquarium salt? I was told at the pet store to use it with each complete water change in addition to the water conditioner.

Ps. I have changed his water, left out the salt and I have taken out the plant, as recommended. I HOPE HE GETS BETTER! I Hate seeing him so upset.
forscl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #24 
bettafish15

When you get your 55g tank set up, STILL NO SALT. Pet store employees more often than not give very wrong info. Just use the water conditioner every water change. Also, fyi, when treating a fish in your 55g, remember that many inverts are deathly senstive to salt. So when we do HAVE to treat with salt, put the fish in a QT container on it's own for treatment. During treatment of any fish with salt, only use for a MAX of ten days. Again, salt is for treatment only, your fish does not need it.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #25 
Canuck Fins

Yes, leave out the salt. Clean water is key. Use conditioner and keep up with the water changes. Leave the salt for those times when you need it. Think of it like antibiotics. You wouldn't keep taking them if you were well. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #26 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

"When I get my 55 gallon tank set up, should I still refrain from using the Aquarium salt? I was told at the pet store to use it with each complete water change in addition to the water conditioner."

No.

See, the thing about aquarists is that they fall into different 'camps':

The "use salt always" camp
The "never use salt" camp
The "use salt judicously" camp (my camp)
The "kill everything with anti-biotics" camp
and so on.

You've come to this site because you really care about fish (thanks for coming!). You're going to hear a lot of different opinions about how best to care for fish. You'll learn a lot in the processes. And then you find what works best for you and your fish.

Ok, so I said no to aquarium salt use on a regular basis. I have many reasons for saying this, among them:

liver damage
salt poisoning
diminished medicinal value due to resistant bacteria surviving in salt water
other fish in your tank (like catfish and loaches) who don't have scales can be chemically burned by salt

and I'm sure there are other reasons, but my brain cells are passing out for the night, lol...

"Ps. I have changed his water, left out the salt and I have taken out the plant, as recommended. I HOPE HE GETS BETTER! I Hate seeing him so upset."

I hope he is doing better soon. At least you know there is nothing in his tank or water now that can possibly hurt him, and the fresh water will do him a lot of good.

I have had a few betta illnesses to work through, and some nasty injuries (I had a betta girl whose anal fin was almost completely destroyed. She was in a 1 gallon QT for two weeks, with a water change every day. Not only did she survive... within three days clear tissue began to grown back on her fin... two weeks out, the clear tissue had replaced almost all that had been lost... a month out, the clear tissue start to recolor and at a month and a half, her anal fin is almost completely normal. She also has received a high protien diet, which helps to regenerate lost tissue.)

Again... clean, fresh conditioned water is always your fishy's best friend (next to you, of course)! :)
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #27 
forscl24

Thanks everyone!! Very Helpful!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #28 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon and see how things are going... you're welcome... good night! ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #29 
forscl24

Mr. Kevin fish is doing so much better. His belly is back to normal! Ps I posted a picture of him under Betta pictures if you would like to see him. The picture was taken pre- fin rot, so he really looks very beautiful. THANKS EVERYONE
Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #30 
Canuck Fins

Good stuff! :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote