Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 
AFishTale

Is this tank too deep?

I would like to have a larger divided tank for my males, and was wondering if this is too deep? It's a 30 gallon...

And if so, is there any way I could fix that by adding extra gravel or something?

Picture is not mine, for reference only.
Attached Images

AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

How tall would the actual tank part be? Do you know?

You can fill the tank less than full, but you have the issue of how the filter and heater fit since they aren't usually fully-submersed. More gravel would alleviate that, but it would be tougher to clean the substrate because you'd really have to get down in it to vacuum it.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 
TonyK

I don't think the depth is a problem. It definitely won't hurt the fish having more room to swim. Plus, think of how much you could decorate it. The only small problem I see is the filter. The filters for a larger tank discharge alot more water but, I'm sure it could be baffled.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

How many dividers are you going to put in? The fish should have plenty of horizontal swimming space if you only do one or two. I've heard of people keeping bettas in deeper tanks than that, so as long as they're healthy (no buoyancy issues) and they have enough horizontal space, I'd say it looks fine. If you're still unsure, you could do what Canuck Fins suggested and partially fill it, as long as that works with whatever filter you have/get.

That's a great-looking tank, and I'm sure your bettas would love to have all that space!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

If long enough, Id say you can divide about 4-5 times..Make sure they have enough horizontal space to swim, though! They like it horizontal best!

If youre worried about the filter, consider making a divider wall around it to avoid the fish getting bonked around.. Or you can make a small divided section and keep the filter and heater there.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote