Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #1 
bbell1102

Question on food.

So I've had my betta for about 6 months now (named Gil, I'll post pics soon!) Hes been great so far, I have just heard so many different things on how often to feed him. A lot of times I will go to feed him, and he won't even try and eat the 3-4 pellets I drop in (Wardley Betta Food) and other times he swims right up and will eat a piece and spit it out. I usually try and drop some pellets in every 2-3 days. Sometimes it even looks like the pieces are too big, but whenever I come back a few hours later and look, the pieces are gone (and I've had him over 6 months, so he must be eating). Does this sound normal?

Also too, I bought a heater awhile back, but never used it cause a friend said I didn't need too (my room is usually around 70) but after reading a bunch on how they need it, I put it back in (I don't remember anything, but it says on it Tetra 50W Heater and is a cylinder shape) I believe it must be an automatic heater? I used it when I first got him, and there is a little red LED that would be on for awhile, then go out (I'm assuming when its on/off) but there is no sort of dial or anything to change the temp..will it keep the water warm enough, or could it be too warm? I just have him in a little 2.5 gallon tank with an auto filter on it. I figured the heater must not have been too big of a deal cause he's lived for at least 6 months, but its alot warmer in my small college dorm room than my mom's house, and when he is here and room temperature is warmer he makes huge bubblenests, but when hes at my mom's place and its cooler, he doesn't make bubblenests at all, so I figured he must be happier in warmer water, I just don't want him to be used to not having a heater for 6 months then suddenly throw one in ya know?

Sorry I'm blabbering on, I'm just really into him, and don't want to do something stupid and he suddenly die
bbell1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #2 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Use some tank water in a container and soak the pellets. Wardley Betta pellets are a little on the larger side of Betta pellets. Soaking them in tank water for about 20-30 minutes will soften them up to the point where they can be eaten. You might find the softened pellets will stick to your finger and then you can just place the softened pellet directly in front of your fish. Soaking the pellets for this amount of time will cause the pellet to sink faster/quicker than not soaking...Just to let you know what to expect.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #3 
bbell1102

yeah thats kinda what I figured, after awhile of floating around, they soak up enough water to get soft and he eventually eats it. But is 2-3 days and 4-5 pellets good? Hes not swimming up and eating it as soon as I put the pellets in. It seems like I put them in and he eventually eats them when hes hungry.
bbell1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Let it not be said that my fish does not have a varied diet.....With that out of the way..I do feed Wardley Betta pellets..once in awhile. When Wardley pellets are fed, I use the tank water soak method and only feed 2 pellets at the most in a single feeding. I soak 2 pellets and depending upon how much they expand, I will feed only 1 pellet or 2 at the most.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #5 
Harley

Maybe try a different brand or size of pellet. Harley likes Nutrafin micro pellets. He was having problems eating some of the bigger ones.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell1102 View Post
So I've had my betta for about 6 months now (named Gil, I'll post pics soon!) Hes been great so far, I have just heard so many different things on how often to feed him. A lot of times I will go to feed him, and he won't even try and eat the 3-4 pellets I drop in (Wardley Betta Food) and other times he swims right up and will eat a piece and spit it out. I usually try and drop some pellets in every 2-3 days. Sometimes it even looks like the pieces are too big, but whenever I come back a few hours later and look, the pieces are gone (and I've had him over 6 months, so he must be eating). Does this sound normal?

Your are not feeding him enough. Bettas should eat every day. Feed 2-3 pellets twice a day, drop them in one by one very slowly so he doesn't feel like he has to rush and eat three pellets at once. Remove any uneaten food within five minutes. Leaving the food in the tank, even for a few hours, can foul the water.

Also too, I bought a heater awhile back, but never used it cause a friend said I didn't need too (my room is usually around 70) but after reading a bunch on how they need it, I put it back in (I don't remember anything, but it says on it Tetra 50W Heater and is a cylinder shape) I believe it must be an automatic heater? I used it when I first got him, and there is a little red LED that would be on for awhile, then go out (I'm assuming when its on/off) but there is no sort of dial or anything to change the temp..will it keep the water warm enough, or could it be too warm? I just have him in a little 2.5 gallon tank with an auto filter on it. I figured the heater must not have been too big of a deal cause he's lived for at least 6 months, but its alot warmer in my small college dorm room than my mom's house, and when he is here and room temperature is warmer he makes huge bubblenests, but when hes at my mom's place and its cooler, he doesn't make bubblenests at all, so I figured he must be happier in warmer water, I just don't want him to be used to not having a heater for 6 months then suddenly throw one in ya know?

Yes bettas definitely need heaters, 70 is way too cold. But you really need a thermometer because without knowing the actual temperature of the water you could over heat your betta. A betta will LOVE having a heater after 6 months of coldness, that won't bother him at all. What is your water change schedule?

Sorry I'm blabbering on, I'm just really into him, and don't want to do something stupid and he suddenly die
I suggest you fill out the questions in the first sticky in the betta diseases section. I know your fish isn't sick, but if you answer those questions it will help us get a clearer understanding of your betta's life and environment :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #7 
TheKingsFish

The light is the thermostat indicator on your heater. If it does not have a dial, it is a pre-set model. Submersible heaters aren't adjustable, so that may be what you have.

He will nest when he's happy and warm. We've seen some drastic improvement in some of the males we brought home for the pet shop once we had them some place warm.

Every now and again frozen (not freeze dried) won't go amiss either. Freeze dried worms for bettas are like freeze dried vegetables for humans: very minimal nutritional value. Frozen worms have a great deal of protein, as do Daphnia, white worms, and brine shrimp.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 
Canuck Fins

A lot of us feed our bettas twice a day for six days and fast the seventh. My fish gets Topfin pellets which are tiny.

If you increase his feeding and get a heater and thermometer in the tank, I'm sure you'll see a difference in your betta.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

"Submersible heaters aren't adjustable, so that may be what you have."

100% WRONG!!!!! ALL of my submersible heaters are adjustable!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #10 
TheKingsFish

Not 100%. The ones we've found up here aren't adjustable.

Our nearest Petsmart is 3 hours away and the nearest Petco is 6 hours and a border crossing from our place, so we have a choice between 3 pet shops, Wal-mart and Zellers. And believe me, they DO NOT carry adjustable submersible heaters. Just out of curiosity, where is your dial located? On the cord, like some aquarium lights?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote