Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #1 
alidawn15

Unknown emergency

My betta was bloated so I put him in a 1/2 gallon container with epsom salt. Less than two hours later he was staying at the top breathing through his mouth instead of his gills, his eyes were fogged over and his fins had lost color. My boyfriend suggested that I had better pull him out of that water because it was obviously killing him. Hes back in the ten gallon swimming like he's blind, but his eyes are slowly returning to normal. I don't have a test kit, but the water he's in is the same I used in the 10 and another half gallon when I just changed them minus the salt. The only think I can think of is that maybe the epsom salt I was given wasn't pure epsom salt like I was told. Is there anything else I can do for him?
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
roypattonphoto

try aquarium salt vs the epsion ... its 1/2 tsp per gallon i believe ....

also i suggest doing a complete water change, make sure u have a heater and keep it kind of dim for a couple days and fast him for atleast a day and see if that helps...

also theres a sticky in the main emergency forum, for better help fill that out...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #3 
turtle10

Where did you get the salt? Did you premix it? How much did you dose? Did you remember to add conditioner?

Just trying to figure out all the possible scenarios.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #4 
alidawn15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Where did you get the salt? Did you premix it? How much did you dose? Did you remember to add conditioner?

Just trying to figure out all the possible scenarios.
My grandmother via someone else bringing it to me. I let it dissolve in the .5 gallon before I took him out of the 10. I used 1/4 tsp because I thought I had read to use 1/2 per gallon... He's back in the 10, and still floating at the surface mouth up tail slightly down. Honestly after all the confusion I can't be 100% on the conditioner...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #5 
turtle10

Hmm… it could have possibly been missing conditioner, but who knows. The important thing is that he improved.
Any change in behavior/appearance since the last post?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #6 
alidawn15

Still pale in the fins(turquoise instead of royal blue), eyes are opaque(can barely see the pupil, but he did swim more although I don't know if that's improvement or reaction to the light being turned off and then back on again.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #7 
turtle10

I would just keep an extra sharp eye on him. He may have just suffered a bit of a shock but he should be fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 
alidawn15

I hope so turtle because this little guy looked about two fin strokes from deaths door when we first noticed it...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #9 
turtle10

At least you noticed it, it could have been much, much worse if you hadn't noticed until morning or something.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #10 
alidawn15

Dobby's eyes look almost normal again and he's swimming but not as much as usual. Is it common for their scales to look a little dried out after something like this? The scales on his back seem to have a few white points sticking up off of them.