Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Platies/mollies?

In my 10g tank I have 5 pygmy cories and a Betta. Now I sort of want to add a trio of platies/mollies just wondering something... what's the difference? Other than the fact that mollies usually look fancier, is there any difference? Also, if this works out, I plan on feeding mysies shrimp/blood worms (frozen) And some type of tropical flake/pellet (probably flake, there's a Betta in there you know XD) Sound good? And I have many hidey spots....
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #2 
BabyFishie202

You should go with the platies ,but only get a trio
BabyFishie202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 
baylee767

Well I got 3 black mollies! I asked the guy at the store for 2 females and 1 male and he got me 2 males and 1 female -.- I'm going to return the female and just have 3 males (I read that works just fine, so...) But they're super active and doing good. My one worry is they'll nip Neon, these guys are just zipping everywhere. Heres to hope...
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

3 males wasnt a good idea at all. Especially if they are already nippy. You should probably take the males back and get females. They are less aggressive.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 
baylee767

Well I didn't get 3 males. I said I WOULD return her for a male. My sources must have been off then. I'll probably return a male and get a female for a 1 male 2 female ratio. Tanks for the advice (Get it?)
Old 04-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

I wasn't trying to be rude. So there no need for the caps. I was clearly stating that three males are not a good idea IMO.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #7 
baylee767

I wasn't yelling online, I was emphasizing that word because you might not notice. It's sometimes hard to tell what the other person means over the internet /= I'm sorry it came out that way.

On the mollies, I read that they prefer brackish and easily suffer from fungus in fresh? 0= I didn't notice that when I first did my research... What should I do? Do I need to return them? Or will they be okay in fresh?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #8 
luluo

I've been reading up on mollies and platies because I got one of each in a rescue tank.

Platies and Mollies are prolific breeders. Females are likely to be pregnant when you get them and can have fry for 6 months after just one mating. So even if you want to just get a group of females, you could end up with a lot of fry for a long time. Is that something you want to deal with? Also, if you get males and females (1 male for 2 females) you could be dealing with fry constantly.

I'd return the mollies. Male mollies tend to be aggressive and nippy in a group. Male platies are less likely to fight and might be a better choice.

ETA: I too read that mollies and platies thrive in brackish water. If I were to go buy mollies and/or platies, I'd set up a brackish tank. I'm still debating what to do with the molly and platy I took in. They have been in nasty freshwater since October. Ideally I'd like to set up a brackish tank for them.

Last edited by luluo; 05-01-2011 at 01:21 AM.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #9 
baylee767

I guess I'll have to bring them back )= Should I leave them in my 10g until I can go back to my LPS (At most a week)?

And after that I'll probably just get a male platy. I read that you can keep a trio of male platies (must have confused that with the mollies before) Is that true? I'll be on the look out for mickey mouse ones...

Last edited by baylee767; 05-01-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #10 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I guess I'll have to bring them back )= Should I leave them in my 10g until I can go back to my LPS (At most a week)?
Do you not quarantine your new fish before putting them in your community? If I didn't have another cycled tank to use as a quarantine, I'd probably leave them in the 10g and just keep an eye on them.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote