Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #1 
baylee767

Smile Re-arranged my tank

My 10 gallon has gone through a lot since I first bought it. I setup the tank nicely before, but there is this wierd fuzzy green brown algae + diatoms in my tank. The substrate got all uneven and yuck and covered everything, my swords all lost their leaves (I kept one and stripped its dead leaves.. ugh they turned out terrible) My anubias as you can tell in one pic was once under diatom attack... And I can't ever seem to get the algae off ANYTHING. My tank sort of "collapsed" look wise. So I re-arranged everything. There's still the Mucky algae over every thing that I can't remove, but here are the (huge) pics of my new arrangment. Inspired by youtube planted tanks

pic 1: tank when I first set it up
pic 2: today
pic 3: driftwood center-piece (non of the plants are tied on and all the live plants except my sword is on it) Note the anubias that was attacked by diatoms >.>
pic 4: sludge on my silk plant. What is it, anyways? I want it to die.
Attached Images

baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #2 
BrookeGrace

It looks awesome!!

And I truly don't even notice the algae, so no worries! Ha! :D
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #3 
baylee767

THanks (= It's more noticable in person, but at least online viewers wont notice XD

Just noticed it looks slightly cloudy. That's because there's a very thin layer of algae on the glass and cloudy water from scrubbing off a bunch of alae and from my substrate being moved around.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #4 
BrookeGrace

Even if they do notice, they will be impressed with the cool arrangement and won't care. Or at least that would be the case for me, haha. I do see what you're talking about on the last one, but maybe just because it's a closeup. I wonder what that is too. Just some unidentified residue? =/

What is that that you use on the bottom? Gravel? (I'm a massive beginner with all of this, hahah.)
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #5 
baylee767

A super overly expensive plant substrate XD it's "azoo plant grower bed" I like it because it's like neat little balls of soil. $40 for a bag designed to fill a 10 gallon tank, it's really balls of aquatic plant fertilizer coated in a thin layer of soil-looking stuff. It's full of nutrients for the plants so it's good for root feeders like sword plants. I mainly chose it for the looks and not what it does for the plants, but hey, it's good for not grinding away cory barbels!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Anubias get algae on them because they're slow growers...every now and then I take them out and use my finger to get it off in my clean bucket of tank water I syphon out during water change. You could probably do the same for the other plant.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

Do you have snails? Consider getting a few...Nerites are a personal favorite, as theyre small, cute, and they adore algae and are arguably the best at removing it.

They have those magnet things that scrape algae, theyre white and one goes on the inside and the other out. They work well.

Also, consider turning off your lights for a while. LED or incandescent promotes growth of the wrong kinds of algae, so if you have them, opt to replace with compact CFL bulbs.

To remove the sludge from the fake stuff/driftwood , get a bucket of hot water (for the fake) and add in 3tsp-6tsp gallon and allow to soak, then use a clean, unused tooth brush to get it off. It worked for me! Also, using lukewarm water on the wood would be better.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #8 
kathstew

Your tank looks awesome! Spectacular! I love how natural it looks!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote