Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #11 
Neil D

First leave the heater in the tank unplugged for 15 min. Turn the heater up to the lowest setting for 15 min. Turn up a bit and leave for 10 min. Turn to the setting you want and let it warm up 2-4 hrs. This is what I did for my 50 W aqueon glass heater. Although the heater should come with instructions. The gradual increase is because glass will crack in temp variations...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #12 
BrookeGrace

Bad news, guys.

He died. :(

I put him into a large-ish plastic bucket with the same temp water as before and everything. I don't think I did anything wrong, but when I checked on him, he was dead and had sunk to the bottom. He was really startled after just a while of being in there. Sigh. Maybe he was actually sick and I didn't know it, or he just was spooked or something. RIP, Depp.
Hopefully once I get this nicer tank set up and more ready, a new one will be happy and healthy. That tank and temperature of water was a lot of the reason, I think. That and probably not changing the water enough. Sad.
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #13 
Neil D

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. It happens. Just remember when something like this happens, acknowledge and move on. There are hundreds of thousands of bettas in need of help, and adopting another is a way to help. I'm sorry for you loss. RIP Depp.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #14 
chelsmarie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeGrace View Post
Thank you for your reply!

Regarding Walmart fish, that's a relief. I asked about this on Yahoo! Answers and I was all but bound and gagged for buying from Walmart and not from a pet store. I felt so guilty, hahah.

I will definitely try the bloodworms! He really does like the pellets, but some variety would be good.

I only have one plant which is actually plastic. I'll take it out when I change the water this morning! Luckily he doesn't go near it much, but I should still remove it. I do have some new silk plants coming as well with the other stuff that I hope will make him happy! =)

He seems pretty tough so I think he will thrive a day or two more until the far superior tank arrives! I'll keep an eye on him as much as I can. :D

Silly Yahoo Answers people. They can be so very rude! No one here will hate you for buying your fish at Walmart. Even though they do not take care for their fish that well. However, sometimes they have some real beauties and with a good home and someone to love it, a Walmart betta is just fine. My boy Weezy is from Walmart and he is pretty and healthy!
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #15 
Twilight Storm

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Just a word on buckets as a reminder, if it ever held any chemicals/wax etc rinsing may not get it all out. It's safest to only use something that has only held water for your fish.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #16 
BrookeGrace

Belated response, but thank you everyone! I was sad, but I'm glad he was out of his misery, I guess. Though there was probably more I could have done in a few days to help him.

In better news, I did get a new one who is much happier and healthier in the nice, new tank. (Which Petsmart screwed up with and sent me a 1 gallon, but, it will suffice, I suppose.) Pictures to come! =D
Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #17 
SillyCone

Niiiice! I want to see the pics, I'm starting to enjoy a betta-owners-community, although it sounds extremely nerd hahahah xD!

Sounds odd but once I had a hamster, I took care of it for around 2 years then one day I left a plastic bag near it's cage by mistake and it ate it, when I saw he was dying on my hands... I cried alot and never had the courage to have another hamster for some reason.

It takes alot of courage to overcome it so soon and get ready for a new try!

Good luck with your new fish! Does it have a name? ;3
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #18 
BrookeGrace

Done and done, SillyCone! In the Betta pictures folder. Hooray!

I know that feeling! I was similar with Snoopy, my old beagle. She had to be put to sleep and after that, I never had the heart to get another dog. It seemed like no other dog could replace her!

I think Depp the Fish was doomed from the start, unfortunately. Probably wasn't very healthy when I bought him and I sealed his fate with a horrible tank. Blah. Poor guy!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #19 
Neil D

Yeah, it happens. Just remember that you can give another animal a good home, and that's the fun of keeping an animal companion. (I know I've already said something similar) hope ur new guy does well! And return that petsmart 'tank' you paid for a larger one didn't u? Good luck!