Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #1 
Seka

Red face Can't decide

Ok, so soonish when my new 10 gallon cycles I'll be moving my betta over from his 2.5 gallon. I want him to have some tank mates, but I can't decide what to put in. Betta in question (Dodo) is a very mellow guy. He only flares at stuff that looks like him or at his reflection. He refuses to eat ghost shrimp (but he likes to swim with them, and one of the ghost shrimp liked to swim with him until it turned into Hannibal Lecter and ate the other shrimp, confirmed it wasn't Dodo munching). He doesn't overeat (he ignores food after 3-4 pellets) so feeding tank mates won't be an issue.

Tank info when finished: 10 gallon, cycled, filtered, heated, driftwood, gravel substrate, low light/maintenance live plants, fluorescent lights.

I'm definitely not relying just on this post to decide, but I'd like to hear suggestions so I don't stock it and then find something else and go "I wish I got these instead".

So far what I was thinking was:

1 betta
1 school of 6 of either cories, otos or neon/cardinal tetras
1 amphyb/invert (multiples where proper like with ghost shrimp) or maybe a combination of 1 adf and shrimp/snail

But I can't decide on the school or the amphyb/invert, and I hope that wouldn't overstock the tank. I'd like something fairly active because Dodo is a curious, playful spazz. For those with small community tanks what do you have, and what are your experiences (pros/cons) with those species?

Oh, 1fish2fish, I have a question for you. Do you mind if I PM you?
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 
luluo

I've been using www.aqadvisor.com for ideas on what I can put in my 26 gallon tank. It is helpful because it will alert you if you don't have enough of a species, or if your tank is overstocked, or if a species doesn't get along with another. I've been using this along with other research.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

For the cories, I think 6 would be overstocking the tank a bit? Maybe 4-5 would be better since they do get over an inch long. Personally, I love the look of a school of neons/cardinals in any tank far more than any other companions. They are eye catching and docile; perfect for a betta tank. However, they do need slightly acidic water. What is your pH? The most common reason that neon tetras/cardinal get the rap as being delicate fish is because people don't respect their pH needs. I believe it should never be above 7.2? But I'm not sure on that.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 
luluo

Would pygmy cories work better? They are usually under an inch, right?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Yes, all cories (except the giant ones) are good temperment-wise. Size wise, if you really want cories in your 10 gallon, then pygmy cories would be best if you can find some. You can get away with 6 of those. It would be really cute :)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 
Seka

Thanks for the advice. I haven't set up the tank yet at all so there's plenty of time to make the final decision. I just want to do everything I can research-wise before actually buying anything.

I looked at aqadvisor, and it seemed that it was letting me stock it with more fish than I'm comfortable with so I'm not sure whether to trust it on the stocking issue. I'd rather listen to live people than to a program.

The number of fish doesn't really matter to me as long as it is a properly sized school for the species and the size of the tank. I'll look into pygmy cories. I don't think the pet stores here carry those, and I don't feel comfortable with ordering them, though. It would be nice if I can find them. If not, would 4-5 cories be alright, or would the lower number stress them? If it would stress them, I'd rather not get them, but if it's a nice, healthy number for a cory school then ok.

What about the tetra nipper issue? From what I've read, they nip when their numbers are too low in a tank. Is this correct?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 
kathstew

The aqadvisor isn't really reliable on stocking numbers, but it is pretty good letting you know which species are good together.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seka View Post
Thanks for the advice. I haven't set up the tank yet at all so there's plenty of time to make the final decision. I just want to do everything I can research-wise before actually buying anything.

I looked at aqadvisor, and it seemed that it was letting me stock it with more fish than I'm comfortable with so I'm not sure whether to trust it on the stocking issue. I'd rather listen to live people than to a program.

The number of fish doesn't really matter to me as long as it is a properly sized school for the species and the size of the tank. I'll look into pygmy cories. I don't think the pet stores here carry those, and I don't feel comfortable with ordering them, though. It would be nice if I can find them. If not, would 4-5 cories be alright, or would the lower number stress them? If it would stress them, I'd rather not get them, but if it's a nice, healthy number for a cory school then ok.

What about the tetra nipper issue? From what I've read, they nip when their numbers are too low in a tank. Is this correct?
For pygmy cories I wouldn't go fewer than 5. They would not be stressed in a group of 5. As long as you keep neon/cardinals/rasboras in schools of 5+ they should not nip. In a 10 gallon you could get 5-6 neon or cardinal tetras safely.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #9 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seka View Post

<snip>
I never said it was the fish stocking bible or anything. Just another tool along with other research.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #10 
Seka

Ok, so 5-6 whatever I chose it is. I think I narrowed it down to cories or tetras.

Sorry, Luluo, didn't mean to sound harsh. It's just my preference to talk to people over using programs, but I see your point.