Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #1 
Burd

How should I split up my tanks..?

Ok ok ok so... I'm excited!

First of all, I found two tanks on craigslist (a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon). I'm currently cycling the 5 gallon to prepare it to be someone's home in the not too distant future. I have a 10 gallon set up that is currently home to Ruto (female) and Jabu-Jabu (VT male) but could also house a 3rd. I put up an extra space between them for someone, either Ralis (DT male currently housed in a 1 gallon on a whim) or my soon-to-arrive Mikau (RTHM male from Thailand eee!).

My options are...

A) Put Jabu-Jabu, Ralis and Mikau in my 3-way divided 10 gallon and give Ruto the 5 gallon when it's ready to eventually make into a sorority with 2/3 more females.

B) Give Mikau the 5 gallon to himself and keep Ruto, Jabu-Jabu and Ralis in the 3-way divided 10 gallon and keep things quiet (ie. no more fishies than what I've got).

I'll be setting up the extra 10 gallon tank I have to try my hand at a little breeding when I have some extra money, time and room to work with.

What do you guys think I should do? :D
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #2 
nowzem

Get more fish of course! <3. I absolutely LOVE my sorority, I highly recommend one. My girls school together like huge neons <3
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #3 
kathstew

Sororities are better in 10 gallons. Its not really recommended to do one in a five gallon, unless you are very experienced with bettas, and even then its difficult. Its better that they are spawn sisters. I don't know how experienced with bettas you are, so I apologize if you already know all this.

You could also divide the 5 gallon, to get one more betta, giving 2.5 gallons for each betta. I have a 5.5 gallon divided into two compartments, and my bettas love it. :D
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
russalka

For now, I'd put Mikau in a 5 gallon by himself so that he is quarantined, just in case he has something your other guys don't have.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote