Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
glassonion

Betta 'puffing' himself up?

I transfered my Betta to a 10gal aquarium today, with lots of plastic plants (replacing that with java moss next week) and no other fish. He doesn't have a heater yet but the lights in the aquarium do give off heat.
I'm watching him swim around right now, and he's huge! Is it possible he can see himself in the reflection of the glass? The lights are on for the aquarium, but my bedroom lights are off. He wasn't like this during the day!
Or is this normal for him to be all puffed up?
glassonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 
roypattonphoto

he might be seeing his reflection, if so , he is flaring at himself thinking its another male.. and he is just trying to prove that he has more testicular fortitude then the male in the reflection .....

its normal... turn off the light he should stop...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 
jpicking1

i actualy had to put a lamp next to my tank to help with the reflection. when the aquireum lights are on. my fish was doing the same thing into i did that.
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

My fish flared a lot when he was first getting used to his tank. He might calm down once he settles in as well. :)

I hope you get the heater (and a thermometer) soon and share some photos when you get that moss in there. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #5 
Blazer23

My betta flared the first few days that it was in its new tank. But now its used to it
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 
JKfish

In darker corners of houses, when there is a light turned on directly over the tank, the tank walls become reflective. Seeing his reflection is probably making him "puff up". (The proper term is flaring.) Light the area around his tank better in order to decrease the reflectiveness of the tank.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #7 
CyerRyn

Mine do this sometimes when the sun is setting and start's hitting the glass. Sometimes they see the other fishy's silhouette in the divider screen and they'll just sit there and flare at each other. He should get accustomed to it after a while. If he seems exhausted, you could always throw a light blanket over the top (making sure there's air still at the top) so it's dark enough that there's nothing for him to reflect off of.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #8 
Neil D

JKfish is correct. I had the same issue with my ten gal. hes fine now, open the blinds or something, thats what i do. i also have a timer that keeps the light on form 6;30 am to 7;30 pm.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote