Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #1 
sflemin2

Filter too powerful?

Is a Fluval 2 Plus too powerful for a 10 gallon tank? I have the out put turned down all the way and pointing toward the corner of the tank
sflemin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #2 
SmokeNLark

What's it rated for? If it is rated for 10 or 20 gallons, you'll be good. If you see that it's still too strong for your betta you can add a filter sponge where the water comes out and rubberband it into place. This will baffle the flow and make your betta more comfortable.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 
sflemin2

It is for "up to 24 gallons". He doesnt seem bothered by it.. but I have only had him for a day and I am new at this. He does sit beside it some times..
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #4 
Harley

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the input doesn't suck him in or the output is too powerfull for him to swim around. Chances are if he's hanging around it it's not bothering him too much (assuming he's not getting pulled towards the filter).
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #5 
sflemin2

Thanks! I have been so worried about him.. I have NEVER had good luck with fish. I have been waking up in the middle of the night to check on him! lol! he's very active.. I think he must just sleep by it or something. Thanks for calming my nerves!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #6 
Thunderloon

With the adjuster down it will be fine. About the same output as an Aquaclear 25, my halfmoon was just peachy with that on its lowest setting in a 5 gallon.

35 to 55gph is great in a ten gallon tank with basic decoration and plants.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote