Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #1 
BabyFishie202

3 gallon Critter Keepe or 20 Gallon Tall Community

Hi i am looking to get a new betta and i cant afford a tank with a filter. So i have been thinking about either getting him in a critter keeper and get one of those small filters for it or could i put him in a 20 gallon tall community tank but my problem is that i didnt get enough black skirt tetras because i didnt want to overstock so i only got 3 of them and when i put my ther betta in there they attacked him and started picking his fins so i put him in another tank. But the one i am getting will be a halfmoon pkt , so he will have short finns.

Will the pick at his finns?
BabyFishie202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFishie202 View Post
Hi i am looking to get a new betta and i cant afford a tank with a filter. So i have been thinking about either getting him in a critter keeper and get one of those small filters for it or could i put him in a 20 gallon tall community tank but my problem is that i didnt get enough black skirt tetras because i didnt want to overstock so i only got 3 of them and when i put my ther betta in there they attacked him and started picking his fins so i put him in another tank. But the one i am getting will be a halfmoon pkt , so he will have short finns.

Will the pick at his finns?
I have my one fish in a 3 gallon critter keepr and he loves it.

I hear tetras can be quite nippy when kept in small numbers...I would try to get a few more tetras and see if that helps....If all you have are tetras and a betta a 20 gallon it shouldn't be overstocked. You could also try returning the tetras and getting a fish that isnt quite as nippy...I hear rasboras are nice..I want to get a few dwarf rasboras eventually. I have corydoras in my 10 gallon and thy are very peaceful and get along with my betta.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
gbose

A 3G with a filter would be fine. You may want to add a heater in the fall, before it gets cold, depending on where you live.

I think the 20G is tricky, as bettas have different compatibility levels. They may pick on or be picked on....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

:D
If you need a filter that doesn't cost much, just get a mini coke bottle and follow this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1Gl...eature=related

Then the only thing you would need to buy is an airstone/pump. These REALLY work and you can hide them behind decor/plants.
It seriously does well, i've been using them for a while, I only stopped using filters because I was have complications with cycling...
If you don't have a pvc pipe, you can just go without it or find something else for the tunnel that fits and is safe. It would work better with a tunnel.
:)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
Blazer23

Add more tetras, its a 20 gallon. This will spread their aggression. Then add the betta, im sure that they will be fine
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote