Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 
SnowySurface

To All the Ones I've Loved and Lost

Rocky and Surface: February 2004
My Betta Fish obsession actually started with 2 African Dwarf Frogs I purchased from a street vendor. I named them Rocky and Surface because one like to sit on a little rock and the other liked to float softly at the surface. The seller said they only needed a little water, no filter, the 1/2g bowl would look cute on my desk, ect. Not only did Surface die the same week I purchased him, but I knew he was dead because Rocky was still trying to play with him and all surface would do is sink back down to the gravel. Because the seller saw ADFs as potential profits and lied to my face about the work necessary to take care of them, Rocky spent part of an afternoon trying to wake up his 'sleeping' tank mate. Unfortunately, Rocky passed the following week because the pet care supplies didn't arrive by mail in time.
Ever since I've done my own research and never taken another person's word for how easy and low maintenance an aquatic pet is compared to 'real' pets. I know this is a Betta website, but I never would have found out about Bettas at all if Rocky and Surface's deaths didn't teach me to read about pet care before adopting an animal. A lot of ADF websites talk about tank mates and Bettas kept popping up as options. I've been hooked on Bettas ever since. I plan on either starting a ADF tank or seeing if I can have a Betta/ADF pair in a tank. Luigi and Snowy have the final say in which set up I choose in the end.

Sparkle: September 2004 - March 2005
None of the sites or book I had at the time mentioned Bettas can jump. Sparkle taught me that lesson the hard way.

Sapphire: November 2004 - March 2005
He was being sold outside, on campus, in winter, in nothing more than a 1/4g bowl. He already had fin rot and I tried to save him. I didn't have enough experience yet to succeed.

Shimmer 3/5/05 - 8/21/07 and Spicy 4/2/05 - 6/18/06
Shimmer and Spicy were my first attempt at having a dual tank. They shared 2.5g tank with divider, so I'm not sure who became sick first. I do know I noticed because Spicy stopped living up to his name sake and became way too withdrawn and shy. Shimmer responded to treatment better, but he was never 100%. My bettas have all be in individual tanks ever since.

Sky: 9/20/05 - 1/13/08 and Rainbow 8/22/06 - 5/21/07
Sky is the only sick fish who actually lived and average life span after treatment. He was the third fish when I had Spicy and Shimmer, so he had an individual tank his whole life. Sky's recovery lead me to try and save Rainbow as well. Rainbow wasn't as lucky and I haven't tried to save another fish ever since. Not because I want to let obviously dying fish die, but because the deaths hit hard.

Peach 8/4/07 - 7/28/10 and Mario 1/27/08 - 4/8/10
I'm not exactly sure what lead to their deaths. Both were being cared for by relatives while I was studying abroad in Japan. All I know is, Mario passed while I was still abroad and Peach was too sick to save when I returned in May. I was really looking forward to seeing both of them when I returned as happy and healthy as I left them. Luigi survived and is still live today, but the complete trio will be missed.

I know this is long winded and depressing, but just listing names and dates wouldn't do my missed little guys justice. Whether they lived for 1 week or 3 years they were a part of my life and deserved to have their stories told. RIP
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote