Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 
KayDowson

Talking Quick Question

So I've decided to try my hand at breading for the first time... Heres the equipment I've got and a few questions to make sure.
-10gal breeding tank
-heater
-sponge nd filter
-10gal or 55gal grow out tank (heres ? number 1 the 55 gal is an already established tank so in there I've got 4 female bettas, 4 danios, 3 barbs, 3 neon tetras, 3 black skirt tetras, small (juvie) chinese algae eater, and about 6 shrimp so my question is once the fry have out grown the 10 gal breeder tank can they be put into this 55gal tank everybody in there is pretty chill and non aggressive I've never seen even a little aggression in there, I think because its so big and they have so much room... But would the fry be ok to go in there once I take them out of the breeder tank or would a 10 gal be better or should i go out and get another tank?)
-4 oz of bbs eggs that i can hatch (2nd question is will this be enough for them or should i go get some more... not quite sure how much they eat, I know i feed them about 3 times a day, but not quite sure how much at a time and how much they will eat total)
-50 betta cups to move them to once they are all grown up and ready to go to theyre new homes... (will this be enough again not sure how many fry there will be)
I've done as much research as I can, but I would appreciate any advice anybody else has since this will be my first time and I love advice from ppl who actually know what they're doing.

And yes I do have homes for all my bettas so long as there isnt more than 50 of them but if so, I can try out ab...

Thanks
KayDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #2 
jschristian44

well, everything seems fine except for moving them to the 55 to grow out. they need their own tank. the 10 gallon will be just fine. once the males start fighting, seperate them. then your good to go. good luck.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #3 
KayDowson

thanx so much
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
jschristian44

im no expert, but from what i read everything sounds fine. when it comes to breeding i am the last person you want to come to. i know the setup and everything though, but for some reason the fish i get just do not want to spawn for me.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I say just buy another big tank (30 gallons or if you don'have many fry 20 gallons). 10 gallons have never worked well for me :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #6 
KayDowson

k, ill got get a 29gal from lfs tomorrow... any idea how many there might be and how much they might eat... just wanna make sure i have enough of everything on hand
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 
jschristian44

they will eat flake foods and other microworms, bananaworms, baby brine shrimp. feed them all if you can, in variety. there will be like 30 or so if its your first time, maybe up to 100, but i wouldnt expect much more than that. of course it's all up to the great one who decides it, but it could be hundreds, but i doubt it. good luck!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #8 
KayDowson

O wow... I was ok when u said 30 but u scared me a lil bit with the hundreds... I know its all up to him and He did say He would never put more on me than I can bear... so thanx and Ill let ya know how it goes...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

BBS: I don't use them any more, but as far as I know you hatch about 1tsp per feeding. Calculate (I don't know how much 4oz of BBS eggs is) a supply for 2 weeks (in case you get some slow growers).... unless you have other cultures.

Av. tank spawns to my knowledge can reach 300. But since it's your first, I'd say below 100. BTW how big are your cups? I use 2 liter bottles cut in half.

When to move fry to grow outs depend on how big your spawn is. If you have around 20, you could leave them in the 10g and use filters. But if you have more than 50, you should move them (sooner) to a larger grow out to get better growth.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Wow...4oz of BBS eggs is a lot.....I buy them in grams.....6grams last me about 6 months or so for about 300-500 fry being fed twice a day...roughly.....for the first couple of months I keep two hatcheries going 12-24 hours apart so I only feed newly hatched BBS with the yolk sac intact otherwise the BBS has very little nutrition unless supplement with a HUFA product like Silcon

I hatch BBS in a half+ gallon container with 3tlbs of rock salt and add about half the BBS container/vial cap full of BBS...maybe 1/4 tsp or less I would say...this nets me millions of newly hatched BBS that I get 2-4 feedings for 300 or so fry...roughly.....

Usually for a first spawn most get about 100 or so and that usually decrease by half every week or so for the first month......this varies a lot and hard to say exact numbers...some get lucky on the first attempt and end up with 100's of fish......but this is rare.....

Tank size-depending on the number of fry you get....... a full to the top 10gal should be fine for the first month or so and as the fry grow and weaned off live food I would start removing the biggest ones first to the 55gal (as long as they are too big to be eaten by the other fish)(remember it may be harder to feed them with the Danios)....fry grow at different rates....you almost always will have extreme size differences.....an hour or so in age can make a big difference in the fish world...since eggs are not all laid at the same time some can vary in age by an hour or more and they hatch at different times too...so growth and development will vary too......make sense....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote