Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #1 
reaper0325

Mysterious ailment killing all my juvies

Experienced betta breeders, I need you help!
Experienced breeders I need your help!

My juvies are dying, and I don't know what the cause is.
Before, they were ok, had insatiable appetite, and were very lively. When they reached about .5", most just hung in the water surface and stopped feeding.

I noticed that those which had this mysterious ailment had very stubby pectoral fins.

That's what I observed. They just float near the surface, they don't eat, and they have stubby pectorals fins. When they get too emaciated, that's when they just cease living. :(

I just lost half of the juvies in one of my spawns due to this unknown sickness.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 
reaper0325

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gal, Thirty 0.3" - 0.5" fry in it
What temperature is your tank? It is summertime in S.E. Asia, best temp for breeding/raising fish
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mostly Fish eggs (popular fry food for local breeders) + a variety of powdered artificial food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? IAL leaves

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Deep well water. 60ft underground. Purest of pure. :D
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #3 
reaper0325

Here are some pics. They look like they've turned into zombies.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 
reaper0325

Is this some effect of bacterial infection? Parasite? Innate deformity? Please share your opinions! Thanks!

May this thread be beneficial for all betta breeders!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

I'm honestly not really sure about what is causing the unusual symptoms in your betta fry. I do have a few ideas you could look into. Internal parasites are a possibility. Do you have a microscope to look at the gut of a deceased fish for internal parasites? If you know what to look for, a microscope can help confirm or disprove this. Have you ever had your well water tested? It is not uncommon for toxins to seep into well water. Has anyone sprayed pesticide in your area lately? I'm sorry that you are dealing with massive fry die off, and I hope someone else might be able to help you better.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
I'm honestly not really sure about what is causing the unusual symptoms in your betta fry. I do have a few ideas you could look into. Internal parasites are a possibility. Do you have a microscope to look at the gut of a deceased fish for internal parasites? If you know what to look for, a microscope can help confirm or disprove this. Have you ever had your well water tested? It is not uncommon for toxins to seep into well water. Has anyone sprayed pesticide in your area lately? I'm sorry that you are dealing with massive fry die off, and I hope someone else might be able to help you better.
Nope, there is no pesticide use in our area.. I use the same water for all my fishes and only this group of fishes show the unusual symptoms.. I am very sure that the water is fine.

I do not have a microscope.. What are your thoughts on the stunted pectoral fins?

I have already separated all the fry which exhibit the symptoms. I am not expecting them to survive this mysterious disease.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

I had a batch of molly fry do something similar a few years back. I narrowed it down to internal parasites or TB. I treated them with Potassium Permanganate; it kills internal and external bacteria as well as bacteria. It is harsh and will probably kill weaker fish, but it might save those that have not started showing symptoms. After I treated my mollies with it the dying ended. Unfortunately it can only be purchased online from chemists, but it is cheap.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I had a batch of molly fry do something similar a few years back. I narrowed it down to internal parasites or TB. I treated them with Potassium Permanganate; it kills internal and external bacteria as well as bacteria. It is harsh and will probably kill weaker fish, but it might save those that have not started showing symptoms. After I treated my mollies with it the dying ended. Unfortunately it can only be purchased online from chemists, but it is cheap.
Thanks so much! I can't purchase this drug as I am unemployed at the moment. lolololol

I am going to remove all infected fish and try to save the rest.
There are some fry with curved spines, which might be symptoms of TB.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper0325 View Post
Thanks so much! I can't purchase this drug as I am unemployed at the moment. lolololol

I am going to remove all infected fish and try to save the rest.
There are some fry with curved spines, which might be symptoms of TB.
Yes, my molly fry also developed scoliosis (bent spine) which is why I considered TB, however, after the Potassium Permanganate treatment there were no more deaths and I believe TB is untreatable in fish. So I think mine had internal parasites, hopefully that is the case with yours. Potassium permanganate can be found on ebay for as little as $5, you only need a pinch (literally-it's strong stuff). You can try salt as parasites have limited tolerance to salt. If you do believe it is TB then be very careful since it is transmittable to humans and is potentially deadly.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #10 
reaper0325

I hope it's parasite! What should be the ratio of salt per gallon of water?