Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 
Burd

Females: Why do they get those bars?

I know darker females show vertical bars on their bodies when ready to lay eggs... but why? I've yet to be able to find any reason behind it, the cause. Why more than one bar? And why bars?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I'm just curious if anyone knows the reason behind it.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 
Luimeril

i'm guessing it's a visible signal to the male. :d i know Lulu's pretty po-ed at me. >.> she always stresses during water changes. poor girlie. ;A;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're breeding bars. Horizontal bars mean that they are stressed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

I believe it is for visible queues between partners. Technically, bettas always have the horizontal bars but they are only readily visible when the betta's colors fade from stress. Both genders display horizontal stress bars.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #5 
Burd

I know about both kinds of bars and what they mean. One of my fish gets stressed out whenever I turn a light on. It's weird.

I'm more interested in the physical biological reason behind the color change. A visible que between partners makes a fair amount of sense to me. Perhaps there is no answer to it that has been researched/found yet.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #6 
Dragonlady

It seems logical that female bettas bar up to show that they are gravid. You can usually see eggs inside a female betta when they bar up, and this would let the male betta know that she is ready. Of course this is only a guess. Barring up in bettas in general seems to indicate submission to the other betta. Even juvie male bettas do it.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #7 
mernincrazy8525

it shows there ovaries in females. When they bar up it means they are producing eggs even more when shown to a male.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Both the vertical and horizontal bars as well as any color changes are a form of cammo and communication......

Females are producing eggs all the time that they will either release and eat or absorb the un-ripe eggs on a regular basis throughout her life...once the female detect the hormones of the male the egg will start to ripen and as the male senses the female ripe eggs this triggers him to spawn.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote