Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #1 
cadi731

Just a little concerned

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? About 77?
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets a day, every day of the week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% a week, 100% monthly. I haven't been able to do water changes as often as I should, but I have an ammonia monitor now to let me know if it's too high or not.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I answered this in the previous answer.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conditioner every time I do a water change, and Jungle Clear Water, but only when needed

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, but I have an ammonia monitor.

Ammonia: Less than .02 ppm
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a tear in his tail, his eyes are a bit larger than my siblings' fish's eyes, and the edges of his tail are more torn than usual
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. He's still his usual, bipolar, wiggly self.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The larger eyes and torn edges have been going on for a little while. His eyes haven't gotten any worse, so I didn't think anything of it, and his tail has been growing back and disappearing again and again, so I'm not really sure if he's nipping or not.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I treated him with Mardel Maracyn just the other day to help with what I suspect to be minor popeye and minor fin rot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not really
How old is your fish (approximately)? A little over 6 months

This is what he normally looks like:
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  7.jpg
Size:  53.7 KB

This is what his tail looks like now:
Name:  torntail.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  47.7 KB
Name:  torntail2.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

Is something else wrong with him, or did he just tear it on something? I think he might have torn it on one of the fake plants he has in his tank, but I don't know which one it was.
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #2 
Harley

Sorry to hear your fish is sick. For a filtered 5g tank you should be doing a 50% change every week, no exceptions. Just because the ammonias good (most of those gauges aren't real accurate) doesn't mean everything else is. Has your tank been cycled? If it is fin rot (other than the tear) frequent water changes are required to get over it. The tail fin just looks like it has a tear so I would definitely test the plants and decorations using panty hose to make sure theres no sharp edges that fins could get causght on. Is it possible to get closer/clearer pics so we can see the fins better and try to determine if there is fin rot? Besides the frequent water changes you can also use aquarium salt (max 10 days) and stress coat (helps re-build damaged tissue). I wouldn't do anything yet until you know its fin rot or not, other than a water change.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #3 
cadi731

I do 50% water changes every week, but someone told me I should be doing them more often than just every week. That's what I meant. I haven't been feeling too well, and I've been in bed a lot lately, so I haven't been able to do them as often as that person told me I should be. I just got the ammonia reader thing the other day and I put it in when I did the 100% water change a day ago.

If it's fin rot, wouldn't he have black on the edges of his fins? That's what I read. I don't SEE any black parts...
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #4 
Harley

You normally should only need to do 50% changes a week in a filtered tank of that size. Harley has fin rot and I currently have him in a 1g QT bowl and I do 100% changes daily. Its been helping and so far he's slowing growing parts of his fins back. I've also been using baking soda and stress coat for him. I had previously used aquarium salt and Maracyn II but it didn't work for him. Harley does have black tips on his fins which can be a sign of fin rot but I don't know if its a must. It was hard to tell from your pics what was there. Good luck and remember clean water is the best weapon.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote