Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #1 
Creat

Please Help! red rescue fish gasping for air

Got a new guy today I couldnt help it he was lying on his side gasping. Got him for cheap cause I bargained them down, in any case I need help on this little guy. He sits fins clamped on the bottom and will swim around sometimes and will dart up for air from time to time but that about it. There are no signs of outward diseases he doesnt look like he has fin rot. And I dont know about ammonia poisoning because I havent been able to get a good look at his gills yet. Right now he is in a small container only so I can monitor him a little more before I switch him to a larger one. The water he is in is 2/3 cycled tank water 1/3 new water. (keep in mind the tank water is stocked with a pea puffer and solid planted most of my betta's get that water sense I have had a hard time with how hard the water is out of the tap and its stock full of metals) oh also the water has no salts added sense I wasnt sure what to add. He is at about 82* F and the only he has done is poo once :p There is also an air pump going lightly. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Name:  IMG_1205.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1208.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  56.6 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 
Dragonlady

The symptoms sound like gill flukes or possibly gill damage from ammonia poisoning. I'm really not sure if bettas can regenerate damaged gill tissue, but I honestly hope your fish makes a speedy recovery. I have been guilty of rescuing some saltwater fish in ill health, and they are still with me today....13 years later.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #3 
Creat

Okay what do you think would be the best action for him? and I too am very guilty I have many a disfuntional/ imperfect betta :) along with other fish
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Keep him in QT, no sense in treating the entire tank when you dont need to.

I'd add in 1tsp/gallon of AQ salt..if he begins to flash/itch, I would suggest starting a treatment for flukes/parasites. A few days in water that is warm, dosed with AQ and that is very very clean will probably perk him up enough to help you figure out whats wrong.

Keep in a dark place for now to de-stress.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote