Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 
SillyCone

A Goldfish problem

I forgot to post this here because I was still banned on the time it happened (you guys can also stop asking me why I got banned, Dramaqueen is getting madder now :V - It's a joke)

Anyway, the post is about some friends of mine;

They own a.. 3-4G tank with 2 goldfishes on it;

This tank over here:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14418800.htm

Anyway, I went to their house this weekend, they were getting ready to their US trip when I saw their tank, I didn't know they had a fish until then (neither they knew about me with my tropical fishes... lol).

Anyhow, their tank is with an extreme poor water quality in it, they didn't even know when was the last water change, the original filter doesn't work and the other filter they have on it they never actually keep it on;

1 of the fishes already has ammonia burn signs but it is doing well;

the 2nd fish has fin rot, pop eye and possible bladder issues, the poor guy barely could move.

I said I could take them home so I could try to take care about them but they said was way too last minute and their other neighbour would take care of them instead (only feeding them once every 2 days)...

I'm pretty sure the 2nd one will die in the end of this week before they return.. Buuuut in case it doesn't, they said they will bring the fishes here for me to take care of them;

Also, it bothers me they have everything on their house and they never used it... >_>! Not even water conditioner... Poor fishies, I can't do anything but wait for the week to pass but idk ;V it is bothering me a lot.

So, my question is:

- Can I do the same treatment I would to for the same illnesses on a betta for a goldfish? Cus I know they are cold water fish rather than tropical ones.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 
JKfish

I don't know all that much, but clean water will begin to do wonders for their health, along with a proper sized tank. 20 gallons per fish. you could contact Lupin, he's pretty much a goldfish expert on here.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #3 
ollief9

I always though common goldfish needed 50 gallons each? So two common goldfish need a 100 gallon tank?
Unless they're fancy goldfish, which need 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional 10 gallons for every other fish. So two fancy goldfish need a 30 gallon tank?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #4 
SillyCone

I'm afraid asking for them to buy a bigger tank is out of the question. >_>

I'm more concerned about salt/medicine dosage in a way, although I do know about the proper size and stuff, they just... They won't buy a bigger tank, they only have a tank "that big" because a friend of them gave it to them.

So I'm more like, giving to them more or less a routine of how to keep them healthy after treating them. Such as when to do the water changes, the conditioner and stuff.. I know you should only have a fish when you can give it a proper care, actually this goes to any animals but still =/
Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #5 
ollief9

Those fish can't really be kept healthy long-term in such a small tank. Why don't you ask them to find someone with a large pond or a pet store which is willing to accept them?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #6 
SillyCone

I'm afraid if I do that they won't take it nicely, they have those fishes and they are willing the let them die with them rather than giving to someone who can give the proper tank and care. >_>

Although they are willing the learn how to take care of it.

The goldfishes are still small so I guess the tank is not THAT bad for the moment though, so I guess for the moment is "good" while I can convince them of buying a bigger tank. :V
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #7 
kathstew

They will stay "small" on the outside in a small tank, but there organs grow, and eventually become too big for their bodies, and are all smushed together, which causes them to die prematurely.

There is the "mother" of bettafish.com, which is tropicalfiskeeping.com, where you can ask more people who know about goldfish more in-depth treatment questions. Your login here can be used to login at tropicalfishkeeping.com. There are a lot of really nice, informative people there. :)

Good luck. I can understand how difficult it would be to convince them to get a bigger tank. I hate how its become "common knowledge" that a goldfish can live in small spaces, its cruel.

Maybe direct them to a site that clearly states they need bigger tanks, as well as other info, and then be like "huh, I had NO IDEA that goldfish needed such big tanks! I completely missed the section on THAT." XD

Anyhoo, good luck treating them, if and (hopefully) when, you treat them.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #8 
SillyCone

Haha thanks and I know about the tropical website.. but goldfishes aren't tropical! XD!

But yeah, all I have to do now is wait anyway =]
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could pm Lupin, who is our goldfish expert. He knows EVERYTHING about them and I'm not exaggerating. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #10 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
Haha thanks and I know about the tropical website.. but goldfishes aren't tropical! XD!

But yeah, all I have to do now is wait anyway =]
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure there is a goldfish section... at least in the pond section. XD
Worth a shot :P

Edit: haha! Found it! Its in the freshwater section, under Cyprinids.

Last edited by kathstew; 06-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote