betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

So they're alive? Eeeuuww!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #12 
Larsa

HikariŽ makes a small pellet food called "micropellets" for small fishes or fishes with lil mouths. I am like 99% sure bettas can have them too! My Petsmart store ( on the bottom of the betta supplies shelf ) they were like $5 and come in a white and purple packet.

Last edited by Larsa; 05-10-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #13 
laughing

My bettas looove these things. It's fun to watch them as predators to the little buggies!! The maggots are gross, though. D:

I don't think I'm ever going back to pellets. My bettas just love the flies soo much. <3 (Even though those buggers can jump like mad men and I tend to lose a couple around the house....)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #14 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
My bettas looove these things. It's fun to watch them as predators to the little buggies!! The maggots are gross, though. D:

I don't think I'm ever going back to pellets. My bettas just love the flies soo much. <3 (Even though those buggers can jump like mad men and I tend to lose a couple around the house....)
You need to feed them pellets, they can't just survive on flies alone.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #15 
Larsa

haha my bettas will not eat anything but bloodworms or Hikari pellets. They HATE any other brand besides Hikari! lolz. Pellets have color enhancers and nessesary nutrients too- more than flies :P Maybe give them flies as a treat once a week? Ex: every Tuesday is bloodworm day for my bettas.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #16 
laughing

She won't eat pellets. Not at all. I've tried 3 other foods. (Pellets, flakes) Nothing.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #17 
DarkMoon17

Have you offered her frozen foods? You can try fasting her for a day or two then offering her pellets. Make sure the pellets aren't too large for her to eat. She won't be able to survive on flies alone. She needs a staple food. You can try junk foods like freeze dried blood worms to introduce her to dried foods :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #18 
laughing

Hmm.. I got some pellets today my male ate great. Female, Nope. She ate it, grinded it to bits, then spit them all out. She's totally against it. -.-

I will see about bloodworms later.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #19 
laughing

Just stopped by the store got some freeze dries blood worms and hikari betta bio gold pellets. Kaida gobbled up the worms. She showed interest in the pellets WAY more compared to the two other brands. She ate part of one. I am hoping if I fast her tomorrow and cut a pellet in half for her she will eat it. If not I will condition her with the blood worms. :)

Julep on the other hand eats it all. Pellets, blood worms, and the fruit flies! So he will enjoy the diet!

I am thinking they will get pellets, a fly or two a day, and a bloodworm once or twice a week. Is that a good diet?? Also, should I regularly fast once a day weekly or is that not necessary?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #20 
DarkMoon17

Are you trying to condition them for breeding or just want to know what an overall good diet for them would be?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote