Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

Cycling my 7gal

Can I use water from my 10gal tank to help fasten the cycling in my 7gal tank? Does the water in the tank need to be heated for it to cycle? I wasn't able to cycle my 10gal tank so I'd like to do it for my 7gal. I read the sticky and it only mentions adding decor from an established tank which I could also do, but I was just curious if the water + some decor and maybe some of my Anachari's would work on helping it. And if it's not completely through the cycle and I add one of my Betta's to it, will it harm my boy if I perform 25% water changes daily or every other day? The plants I have aren't very much but I'll be buying more soon so I can add some more hiding places in my 10gal and help decorate my 7gal. (like some more Anachari's and maybe some Java fern). Just wanted to be sure I do this correctly so I don't harm any of my boys. :( I know how important it is to cycle it but I'm completely clueless on this part. I also don't have a water testing kit and won't be able to afford one for a while but I can have it tested for free after 4 weeks of the tank being "cycled". (the fish store owner wont test it unless it's been 4 weeks after set-up -.-)
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #2 
russalka

Yes, you could use water from your other tank but it's better to bring over an object, such as peice of bogwood or silk or plastic plant or gravel. I don't know if anachris will help the cycle (it might) but it will help to improve the water quality and give your guy a nice place to hang out You can cycle a 7 gallon with a betta in it, just get a liquid water testing kit and test each day. Initially, you are watching for amonia and doing a partial water change when the amonia goes above .25 ppm. If amonia is at .5 ppm, do a larger partial change immediately.
Can you afford the amonia only liquid testing kit? Petco sells it for around $9 or $10 dollars where I live.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

The ammonia kit I could afford, it's the large kit that's a bit out of my price range for now. I would just like to get this tank "started" since in a couple weeks I'll be able to get the 50W Heater I need for it and finally get Bloo a nice home :).
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 
lalalaura

Using water from your other tank will do next to nothing. It has to be some filter media, substrate, decorations or something that has a good growth of beneficial bacteria on it. It will only work if the tank you are taking it from is already cycled. The tank does not need a heater to cycle but the cycling process will be faster if you have a heater. Does your tank have a filter? You need to have a filter on the tank or it will not cycle.

It won't harm your betta if you put him in a partially cycled tank.. but you MUST do the water changes when ammonia gets above 0.25ppm-0.5ppm. It will take longer for the tank to cycle if you put him in because you have to do frequent water changes to keep ammonia at a safe level, which means it will take longer for the ammonia eating bacteria to build up.

The only way to tell if your tank is cycled is to test the water. If the guy at your LFS won't test it for 4 weeks, do 2 50% water changes on the tank each week until you can have the water tested.

Another thing, can you get a bacteria booster? It's sold in some stores and its basically dormant bacteria that speeds up the cycling process. I use Seachem's Stability in all my tanks and they have all cycled really quickly. I paid $12 for a pretty big bottle that has lasted 3 months plus). Another good brand is Tetra Safestart.. but I would stay away from Nutrifin Cycle.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote