Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #1 
Meg215

Injured African Dwarf Frog, please read if you know anything about them.

Hello, I know this is a Betta forum but there is very little information online about ADF's and I'm hoping someone on here might have experience. I have a female ADF living in a heated 2.5 gallon tank alone. She was fine yesterday but this morning I noticed her back foot(?) is messed up. Basically one toe(?) in the middle of her foot is large and swollen and bright pink! Now she's lost the tiny nails on her toes before but this looks like it's very painful.

Does anyone know what I can do for her?
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

I do not know much about ADFs but I found this website about disease and treatment http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id10.html
You should increase water changes to prevent infection. With fish, adding salt helps, but I believe frogs have lower tolerance so I'm not sure if that is safe.There are a few ADF owners on this forum so hopefully they will be more helpful. I'll ask my mom (vet) if there are any common fish medications that reduce swelling.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 
Meg215

Thank you so much for responding! I'm so worried. I just hate to see anything suffer and she's such a sweetie. I'm going to look at that website and if your mom says anything please let me know! Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

I spoke to my mom, she says Metronidozal (flagyl) has some anti-inflamatory abilities but I have no idea if it can be used on frogs. You might have more luck if you post this in the disease section, I know it isn't a betta but I'm sure people will want to help regardless :)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 
Meg215

I'm so sad. She passed away last night.Thank you for your help. I'm not sure what happened, we always kept her water very clean but it looks like it may have been red leg disease which is horrible and fatal. From looking online it looks like the frogs usually suffer pretty badly from it so Im just thankful she is not suffering anymore but aam so sad to have lost my friend.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry to hear that... My first thought after reading that website was the red leg disease thing, but hoped it wasn't. I'm glad she didn't suffer that much :(
Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry about your ADF. Maybe she injured herself on something.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

:( I'm sorry you lost your frog.... they're very tricky to treat. What was her setup?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote