Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #1 
dollysfishie

sick fishie!

My fish first had fit rot (I believe) he started to loose his top fins and had like red dots over towards his head. I first gave him Maracyn 2 for the full treatment and saw no improvement, but he is not moving, and eating a lot better. I then did 100% water change and got tetracycline, I followed the boxes instructions. his fins on top are better, but towards the bottom of the fin at his body point there is a cottony white area. WHat is it? Should I do another treatment of tetracycline?

I also have thrown everything out of his tank ie ( plants, gravel, and his hiding cave, and replaced it with new gravel, and hiding cave, i did this today, hoping this will help with the bacterial/ fungus in his tank.
Attached Images

dollysfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #2 
Harley

It's likely a bacterial infection. I don't know much about tetracycline. You might want to wait a bit before giving it again so the fish doesn't get immune to the medicine. Other people might be able to tell you more than I can. Also you shouldn't have to throw out your decorations. You just need to make sure they're cleaned with bleach, vinegar, etc. Either way you'll have to super rinse them to get any harmful chemicals or substances off which could harm your fish. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #3 
dollysfishie

Getting worse again

I woke up and my fish had red dots all over his head again, when just yesterday he was great, so I'm starting it up again. Im hoping this wil do te trick.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #4 
turtle10

Can you fill out the sticky at the top of the "Diseases" section? We need info to help you.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #5 
dollysfishie

Housing*
What size is your tank? 10 gallon*
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 degrees.*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varies between pellets and dried blood worms (once a week).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance*
How often do you perform a water change? 25%-50% every two weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?*
None buy spring water let sit for 24hrs then change water
Water Parameters:
E StHave you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.
O NAmmonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:*

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lots most of fins on top body, has a white patch in the root of fin and red dots on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? In the beginning but then changed after medicine started. He acts just like normal now
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started with maracyn 2 and had NO results moved to tetracycline, did the entire treatment and was starting to grow fins back, then the next day he had red dots on his head again *and had the huge white spot at the base of the top fin. So I cleaned the entire tank, got new decorations and started the treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Well I bought him as at a pet store pretty sure he wasn't a baby, ive had him for *8 months at the least*
Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysfishie View Post
Housing*
What size is your tank? 10 gallon*
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 degrees.*
Try to keep it at least at 76 minimum.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varies between pellets and dried blood worms (once a week).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance*
How often do you perform a water change? 25%-50% every two weeks.
In a ten gallon filter-less tank I would do 2 50% water changes a week and one 100% water change every other week minimum.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?*
None buy spring water let sit for 24hrs then change water
Tap water with conditioner is best. Bottled water lacks important minerals.
Water Parameters:
E StHave you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.
O NAmmonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:*

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lots most of fins on top body, has a white patch in the root of fin and red dots on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? In the beginning but then changed after medicine started. He acts just like normal now
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started with maracyn 2 and had NO results moved to tetracycline, did the entire treatment and was starting to grow fins back, then the next day he had red dots on his head again *and had the huge white spot at the base of the top fin. So I cleaned the entire tank, got new decorations and started the treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Well I bought him as at a pet store pretty sure he wasn't a baby, ive had him for *8 months at the least*
I think he could be suffering from ammonia in the tank.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysfishie View Post
I then did 100% water change and got tetracycline, I followed the boxes instructions. his fins on top are better, but towards the bottom of the fin at his body point there is a cottony white area.
Turtle - I agree that the fish could be suffering ammonia poisioning, but isn't white cottony areas a sign of a fungal infection?

Last edited by kathstew; 04-24-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Not fungus, no. Fungus in an aquarium is not like fungus on land. This is bacterial, Id say, but I cant tell you what.

The treatment you used was for gram negative bacteria. Perhaps this is not a gram neg bacteria youre dealing with? Try using the other maracyn or using both.

In addition, keep the tank CLEAN (as per dosing for the medicine) and dark, feed the fish a high protein diet if it will eat, and keep the tank dark.

The ammonia may pose a problem because it stresses the fish's system further and the lack of water changes allows the bacteria to have a strong establishment that would other wise be less in a tank with more frequent water changes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
dollysfishie

He's doing better I just tested his water and the its high in alkalinity...

Tags
fin rot, sickness